Help! Dealing with black beard algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FamilyFish3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for added advice to what I have read about, in order to get rid of black beard algae based on what I have going on in my tank.

Set Up:
60 gal, 48”x13”x24”
Fluval 306 canister filter
Substrate - Pool filter sand mixed with black blasting sand (80/20)
2 – Current Satellite LED plus, 48”
PAR (according to manufacturer)
36 – 12”
28 – 18”
21 – 24”

Fish – 1 pearl gourami, 2 blue gourami, 3 boesmani rainbow, 3 turquoise rainbow, 4 angelicus botia loaches, 1 golden zebra botia loach = all are 3 inches or less

Problem:
Started/cycled the tank in February and changed the lighting in June from the stock hood with two 18” T8’s to the two 48” LED strips noted above which sit directly on the tank rim. (tons more light!) I believe based on the PAR reading that these lights fall within the low light range for the bottom half of the tank and in medium light range for the top half of the tank. Please let me know if this is not accurate. After trial and error, these are the plants I have left – anubias, two java fern, and two small swords. We had purchased beautiful purple cabomba in June and it got torn apart by my gouramis although it did get a chance to grow very tall. I also tried some sort of hair grass, but it didn’t grow. Before the cabomba I was adding Seachum Flourish Excel every other day but then I read cabomba doesn’t like it so I stopped. And I do not add CO2. We were dealing with diatoms over the summer which I believe is going away now. However we now have black beard algae all over the driftwood, rocks and some plant leaves. (I admit that when school started in September, I started slacking on the consistent water changes, lack of plants, possibly over feeding and running lights for approximately 10 hours per day led to the current issues.) :facepalm:

Now the tank glass has been scrubbed, 50% WC on Sunday, rinsed filter media in bucket of tank water from WC, rocks and purigen bags from canister have been bleached then soaked in prime/water and will be ready to go back in tonight. We have started adding Excel again daily (6 ml for 60 gal) and we are on the 2nd day of a blackout. I would love to fill this tank up with low - med light plants (that my fish won’t eat) to balance the nutrients, but should I wait to see if the black beard on the wood goes away? Or should I add lots of plants now to help with the balancing? (after the blackout of course). My tank is very narrow – should I only use one light strip? I am hoping to get this tank balanced without doing CO2. Also plan to do another 50% WC this weekend.

Additional plants I’m hoping will be compatible with my lighting, fish and using Excel, along with any recommended fertilizers:
Vallisneria Americana, Corkscrew or Italian
Echinodorus Bleherrii (Amazon Sword)
Cryptocoryne Wendtii, Balansae or Spiralis
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Crinum Natans
Ludwigia Repens
Taxiphyllum Barbieri (Java Moss)
Cladophora Aegagropila (Moss Balls)

I will add pics in a few. Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

I've got the same dimentions on my 60 gal tank too! I also picked up black beard algae! I was under the impression bba was just much more of a pain to get rid of than to cut it off my plants. I did, but I also experimented a bit. I sprayed the plant with hydrogen peroxide and the bba died over night!

You might try spraying it with peroxide from a spray bottle, but if it's wood, you could take it out of the tank and spray because light and water dissipates peroxide, so it would be more effective if you gave it 5 or 10 min to sit outside of the tank.

Dwarf hair grass is very high demanding, it needs medium light at least and co2 is suggested. That is likely why it didn't last in your tank. If you want to plant your tank heavily, I would highly encourage a DIY CO2 or the actual compressed co2. I just started the diy co2 system today and it only cost me $2 for tubing. I had everything else at home. You can youtube it and watch how simple it is.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2 bottles, some yeast, sugar and baking soda. Throw some hoses in there and done!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414547429508.jpg
    1414547429508.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 131
BBA is pretty resilient... I doubt a few days of black out will be enough to get rid of it. The best way (that Ive found) to get rid of it is with hydrogen peroxide... the disinfectant in the brown bottle that you get at the drug store.

Make sure you turn off your filter before doing this or you'll kill off your biological filter.
I stick to using around 3ml per 10 gallons, so it can take a few treatments if you've got a lot of BBA.
Fill a plastic syringe and spot treat the BBA. Get it right on there. It'll usually start bubbling a bit.
I let it sit for around 20-30 minutes (it becomes inert and will no longer harm your bio-filter) and do a PWC before turning the filter back on.
After a day or two you should notice the treated areas turning red or pink. That means its dying. Sometimes my fish will pick at the dying/dead algae.
After a week the treated areas are pretty much BBA free.

Next you'll have to tackle the issue of whats causing it in the first place. I think reducing the photo period and increasing the Excel dosing will help, but ultimately you'll have to experiment and find the right balance of light, nutrients and carbon. Im slowing dialing it in myself, but I still get outbreaks.

Easy, Get some seachem Excell overdose it by 1 extra capful a day.. The BBA will turn red then white and itll be gone in less than a week. Don't bother with Hydrogen peroxide its too much work BBA can be everywhere in the tank and spraying it with a needle will take ages... Just dump in a 2-3x dose of Excel its safe I've used it in all my tanks never had issues.. I use it as a CO2 booster and to kill hair algae.. Its main Indrediant is derived from an Algaecide after all..

Since you have a 60 gallon tank, use 6 capfuls for the initial dose (even sayd use 1 capful per 10g on initial dose. (after you do a water change first).. then 2-3 capfuls every 24 hours after that.. And watch it die off

Thanks to all the suggestions. Here are some pics I took last night...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414586280.773414.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414586292.112014.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414586306.003670.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414586516.912598.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tank is very narrow – should I only use one light strip? I am hoping to get this tank balanced without doing CO2.

Not too familiar with your lights, but I'm thinking the Satellite plus is dimmable, or at least has many different settings? I'm not sure. Someone else can chime in, but either way I would guess that two of those fixtures at full brightness would be slight overkill for a low-light tank with no CO2, and you'll be battling algae constantly.

Not too familiar with your lights, but I'm thinking the Satellite plus is dimmable, or at least has many different settings? I'm not sure. Someone else can chime in, but either way I would guess that two of those fixtures at full brightness would be slight overkill for a low-light tank with no CO2, and you'll be battling algae constantly.

Yes it can be dimmed!

Yes they are adjustable with full spectrum, preset combinations and you can save custom settings. I have been using full spectrum for the core hours and sometimes in the evenings we play with the other modes. Not confidant in customizing yet.

Candyman must own stock in Seachem. :lol:
That stuff's a bit expensive to be used as your permanent solution to algae.

Better to use an ounce of prevention than a pound of cure.

No I don't own stock lol.. I do use a lot of their products though... De-nitrate, Purigen, Excel, flourish, iron..

Excel for a 500ml bottle is only $14.. And once the BBA is gone it rarely has ever come back for me.. and I use 1 500ml bottle for 3 of my big tanks and it lasts like 3-4 week if I use the normal half capful or so for the 27 and 30 and 1 capful for the 55g.

Overdosing for BBA kills BBA is less then a week. Youll use maybe 1/3 of the bottle

+1 on the prevention. Along with a blackout, moving forward you should increase the daily carbon source. 6 mL Excel in 60g is pretty light. I'm dosing ~10 mL Glutaraldehyde in 20g daily. The glut is cut 1:1 with DI water so that is resembles excel. As with any change, these should be performed gradually.
I have also spot treated with hydrogen peroxide and it has been effective at killing the BBA. $1-$2 a bottle is pretty cheap.
Glutaraldehyde by the gallon is pretty economical. Online, Metricide 14 costs about $25. Volume wise it is slightly more than seven 500 mL bottles of Excel. Strength wise it is twice as concentrated as Excel.

I had a bad outbreak myself. Fresh's advice to dose 1ml per gallon of glut has really helped. He really knows his stuff. Thanks Fresh!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 on the prevention. Along with a blackout, moving forward you should increase the daily carbon source. 6 mL Excel in 60g is pretty light. I'm dosing ~10 mL Glutaraldehyde in 20g daily. The glut is cut 1:1 with DI water so that is resembles excel. As with any change, these should be performed gradually.
I have also spot treated with hydrogen peroxide and it has been effective at killing the BBA. $1-$2 a bottle is pretty cheap.
Glutaraldehyde by the gallon is pretty economical. Online, Metricide 14 costs about $25. Volume wise it is slightly more than seven 500 mL bottles of Excel. Strength wise it is twice as concentrated as Excel.

Sorry for the late response and thanks for the added suggestions. No noticeable change to the BBA yet so I might do the hydrogen peroxide spot treatment tomorrow and WC.

I had a bad infestation of it in my multi tank and put a bristlenose pleco in there and it was all gone in 2 days

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would spot treat your glass.
Plants trim off the leaves with it and then with your wood.
Just boil your kettle and pour it over the wood.
Bba will turn red and die over night, some fish will even eat it when it turns red

Back
Top Bottom