HELP Dirted Tank PROBLEM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arrow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had my tank set with white fine gravel and decided to put potting soil underneath to help my plants grow healthy. Once I put the soil and the gravel and filled with water it started turning brown. It looks like a Blackwater tank. I have been doing water changes for over a week and the water becomes darker by the day. Any advice?

I had my tank set with white fine gravel and decided to put potting soil underneath to help my plants grow healthy. Once I put the soil and the gravel and filled with water it started turning brown. It looks like a Blackwater tank. I have been doing water changes for over a week and the water becomes darker by the day. Any advice?

Probably tannins from the soil or bits of bark etc. There are a few steps you can and probably should go through before dirtying a tank. Did you sieve the soil first or example?

You will need to continue with water changes until the tannins subside which is a good thing really as the soil will also be releasing a lot of ammonia right now. Oxygen will most likely be on the low side too.

Fine filter pads will help a bunch, you can use them sitting on top of a HOB filter and just rinse out daily or more often if needed.

Activated Carbon can help, will be useful for about a week and you can replace it stops doing it's job pretty quickly, but works well.

There are flocculant products like Accu-Clear and CaribSea Bio-Magnet Clarifier works very well, and pretty quickly. Seachem Clarity works as wekk but in my tanks it took several days and a few doses.

There are some less expensive ones but I only get the first 2 mentioned when possible, because when I want the tank clear of something like that, I appreciate it happening quickly.

The poly cotton fluff is cheap and also works. I am not sure about any additives which might be an issue in the fluff /fill from the sewing department - so I would do some checking on what people are using and rinse it before adding.

The last time, I bought this one made FOR aquariums and it works very well (still using as it is a big bag)
https://www.acurel.com/product/polyester-filter-fiber/

Back
Top Bottom