help dying plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arwin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! Im new to this planted aquarium as well on this forum. I read a lot of good advice on this site that's why for the past 2weeks i was just keep reading on peoples problem and advice from pro :). And now i would like to have advice for my aquarium.

I have 29g purchase 4week ago from marineland, i purchase separate hood from amazon that has single flourecent light 18w i think. And now the problem is that i have some plants that are dying, loosing its leaves, leaves that turning into transparent and float after, some leaves has brown color algae that some times it comes and go. I was thingking it might because of the stock light that i have and running it for 10-12hr. I only have few plants in my aquarium and need moderate light. ANY ADVICE PLEASE for the light i coundt find single bulb that is more that 20w in 24inch. And i dont wanna purchase another hood again. please help my dying plant

Your light is very weak, but should grow some plants.

What kind of plants are dying ?
Some plants need to acclimate to a new tank.

What kind of substrate ?

And Fertilizers ?

You may want to look at getting either a T5 fixture and bulb or a screw in fixture that you can use CFLs.

What are the specs on the bulb ? Or add a link if you can.

What does the writing on the bulb say ?

i have anacharis, dwarf hair grass, wisteria, Hygrophila angustifolia. i have flourite substrate and liquid fertilizer. is t5 is better than t8? what do you mean by screw fixture is that mean that i have to change my hood?

I would say that the bulb is the main problem, but I could be wrong...

What fertilizers do you use?

Though I could be just crazy, less than 1 watt per gallon is NOT going to do very much. Unless you want to see them ALL die slowly, I would recommend getting a better light (T5 Hos are the best, give great light) to aid in proper photosynthesis. I know it's not gonna be that cheap, but planted tanks require work, dedication, and a starter amount of money. It does depend on your fertilizers too. If your plants do not get a certain supplement, they are gonna mysteriously die.

Hope I helped!

Back
Top Bottom