Help! fissiden fontanus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got some of this. And it came as a bunch of tiny fronds sandwiched between two pieces of screen, but not attached or rooted. One of them I sat on the substrate, and had to put gravel on top to weigh it down. The other piece I tried tying the tiny pieces to driftwood(tedious). Today, most of the pieces are floating in the water column. I'm really bummed because they weren't cheap. Luckily I put a nylon over the filter intake, so it's collecting there. Any advice on getting this stuff to take root? Thanks!

I normally just take a hunk and stuff it in a rock hole or in a crevice in the DW. Or dice it into small segment, wet the object you want the moss will grow on, its best to use a mixture of water and milk (milk will make the environment acidic as well as provide nutrients), but just water works fine. spread the moss so that its firmly pressed against the object. mist. then mist daily or twice daily so it doesnt dry. The fissidens will start to grow emmersed growth after 1-2 weeks, its growth will really take off significantly faster than under water.

Oh Rivercats, you're a life saver! :) So just so I understand this... I put it on some driftwood in a windowsill? I soak the driftwood in some milk and mist it with water? Thanks!

Oh Rivercats, you're a life saver! :) So just so I understand this... I put it on some driftwood in a windowsill? I soak the driftwood in some milk and mist it with water? Thanks!

Soak the DW in water with a little milk in it or just water. I'd also put the DW in a container after you firmly press the fissidens down on it, then mist it all good with water. Since DW tends to dry out pretty rapidly I suggest covering the container with saran wrap to keep moisture in but the trick is not to let any mold grow. I found I had to play with keeping a tiny piece of the edge of the Saran wrap up to let just enough air in for circulation so no mold developed. And be sure to mist the DW and fissidens as often as needed so it doesn't dry out. You kind of have to have the patience of a saint during the first 2-3 weeks but once it takes hold it is worth it. I've only done rocks this way but there is no reason if it worked on rocks it wouldn't on DW.

Rivercats said:
Soak the DW in water with a little milk in it or just water. I'd also put the DW in a container after you firmly press the fissidens down on it, then mist it all good with water. Since DW tends to dry out pretty rapidly I suggest covering the container with saran wrap to keep moisture in but the trick is not to let any mold grow. I found I had to play with keeping a tiny piece of the edge of the Saran wrap up to let just enough air in for circulation so no mold developed. And be sure to mist the DW and fissidens as often as needed so it doesn't dry out. You kind of have to have the patience of a saint during the first 2-3 weeks but once it takes hold it is worth it. I've only done rocks this way but there is no reason if it worked on rocks it wouldn't on DW.

Thanks so much! :)

Back
Top Bottom