Help! From gravel to dirt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brox

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I want to put gravel in my 40G breeder. Thing is I already have gravel plants and fish! Uh oh lol. Any ideas on how to change with no fish or plant loss? As well as no big algae blooms?

I asked this a little while ago and was advised that yes it can be done but you might want to remove the fish while doing it. It is going to be stressful on your fish though however you do it.
I've read while researching it, that you can change it completely by emptying water into buckets etc, transferring fish and then when the water is low enough scoop old substrate out and put in new.. Obviously in my opinion there's a worry it will cause a spike in your water, but I read online that a lady took some of her old substrate, put it into a clean sock and placed it under the new substrate, to keep the levels even and then removed it a few weeks later. Or maybe stick it in the filter if that would work I'm not sure?

Anyway I'm not 100% on this as I decided against changing mine in the end, I will do eventually and this is how I plan to do it and keep a close eye on levels, hope this helps :)

The post is alittle confusing... title says change from gravel to dirt. Then the post says you want to put in gravel but already have gravel. What exactly are you wanting to do?

Rivercats said:
The post is alittle confusing... title says change from gravel to dirt. Then the post says you want to put in gravel but already have gravel. What exactly are you wanting to do?

Change to dirt with a gravel cap.

I have dirted tanks, my largest is a 220g. Do you have a place you could move your fish to for at least a couple days? You need to empty your tank but don't worry about getting every last bit of water/gravel/muck out of it. Add about an inch of Organic Potting Soil (not organic potting "mix"), some people like to remove all larger pieces of wood, etc., from the soil before using, I didn't. Slowly, and I mean slowly add water till you just have the soil moist/wet enough you can squeeze it in a ball in your hand (if you get it too wet you will have a heck of a time adding the cap). Then smash/compact the moist soil down to remove any air pockets. Next carefully add about an 1 to an 1-1/2 of you cap. Be sure your cap is rinsed really good. Place a plate or container on the cap and slowly fill your tank. Turn on your filter, I added Purgen to my cansiter filter to help remove tannins that organic soil releases in the first weeks. On day two do a 100% WC, fill the tank 1/2 way and plant very heavily, then fill the tank. Since you have the original filter you will have a good jump on BB and with the plants you should cycle pretty fast. I think you will still have diatoms and you have to have alot of plants and ones like water sprite, wisteria, and fast growing stem plants to keep algae blooms down due to the large nutrient leeching from the organic soil in the beginning. Although if you use mineralized soil you won't have this problem. Depending on how many fish you have and what your tank readings (ammonia/nitrite) are you can add all or some fish back in. Also plan on doing some big W/C's the first couple weeks to help keep tannins and excess nutrients down. Alot of people use Miracle grow organic potting soil, I use a product from Lowes call Just Natural Potting soil.

Rivercats said:
I have dirted tanks, my largest is a 220g. Do you have a place you could move your fish to for at least a couple days? You need to empty your tank but don't worry about getting every last bit of water/gravel/muck out of it. Add about an inch of Organic Potting Soil (not organic potting "mix"), some people like to remove all larger pieces of wood, etc., from the soil before using, I didn't. Slowly, and I mean slowly add water till you just have the soil moist/wet enough you can squeeze it in a ball in your hand (if you get it too wet you will have a heck of a time adding the cap). Then smash/compact the moist soil down to remove any air pockets. Next carefully add about an 1 to an 1-1/2 of you cap. Be sure your cap is rinsed really good. Place a plate or container on the cap and slowly fill your tank. Turn on your filter, I added Purgen to my cansiter filter to help remove tannins that organic soil releases in the first weeks. On day two do a 100% WC, fill the tank 1/2 way and plant very heavily, then fill the tank. Since you have the original filter you will have a good jump on BB and with the plants you should cycle pretty fast. I think you will still have diatoms and you have to have alot of plants and ones like water sprite, wisteria, and fast growing stem plants to keep algae blooms down due to the large nutrient leeching from the organic soil in the beginning. Although if you use mineralized soil you won't have this problem. Depending on how many fish you have and what your tank readings (ammonia/nitrite) are you can add all or some fish back in. Also plan on doing some big W/C's the first couple weeks to help keep tannins and excess nutrients down. Alot of people use Miracle grow organic potting soil, I use a product from Lowes call Just Natural Potting soil.

Thanks! I have a 5 and a 10 gallon tanks/not set up so that will be a problem with all my fish in those small tanks. Suggestions? And can I put the fish back on day 3?

Rivercats said:

Or on day 2, and how much WC's daily or should I just make that up as I go?

I've personally never put fish in that quick but heard others talk about doing that before. I did 100% WC's for 7 days in my big tank before planting and adding fish but the organic soil I used leeched tons of tannins. I don't think Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil leeches as heavily. You could try dirting, capping, and planting on day one, do a big WC on day two and then readd the fish. Since you'll be switching your filter over that will help any cycling. After that I would check my ammonia/nitrites/nitrates daily and do anywhere from a 25-50% WC daily until you know it's cycled. This will also help remove any tannins that leech from the soil and will definitely help remove alot of the excess nutrients that the organic soil is going to release in the beginning. You don't want an algae explosion so for the first 4-6 weeks you may have to adjust you WC schedule as needed. I had my fish in other tanks so I didn't have to rush things.

Thank you for all this info! Ty you are very helpful. I've decided to go with just Eco complete. And see how that goes since I have a low light tank set up. Thanks a ton! When I do dirt I will def look back on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom