help! high ammonia and dying plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gcox311

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I feel like my tank is in a little bit of a crises right now, my current Ammonia levels are 1.00 ppm and 6.6 PHand after performing 50% water changes everyday this week to get it down, it hasnt budged. I tested my tap water and it reads as .50 ppm and a 7 PH. I use a water conditioner from API, and i know that ammonia tests will sometimes read chloromines as ammonia, and i know conditioners will convert chloromines into ammonia, but i dont want either in my tank!
now, over the past two days I see all my plants struggling, wilting and turning yellow (probably due to the high ammonia) but especially my Green Foxtail. I noticed the stems turn brown in a section while the leaves turned into a greyish mush, whenever I lightly touch it with my tweezers the leaves immediately flake off, and sometimes the whole section of the stem will come off.
Please if anyone knows how to help my situation or what my next steps should be i would really appreciate it as a newb to planted tanks

(this is a two week old tank)

New plants melting in the first couple of weeks is normal. They will have been cultivated immersed, not submerged and wont be tolerent of being under water. Its possible to lose all old growth but new growth should be tolerent of being submerged and be healthy. Are you seeing any new growth?

Back
Top Bottom