Help id plants please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkey Magic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all i bought these two plants today one was listed as violet and the other purple and green one was listed as purple waffle but i know its not purple waffle, purple waffle has different shaped leaves and are crinkley can anyone fill me in

I think one might be an alternanthera reineckii but still not 100% certain

Attachments

• image-1287501005.jpg
    image-1287501005.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1037925521.jpg
    image-1037925521.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 101
Your Plant Question

Hi all i bought these two plants today one was listed as violet and the other purple and green one was listed as purple waffle but i know its not purple waffle, purple waffle has different shaped leaves and are crinkley can anyone fill me in

Hello M...

The plants look to me like a couple of varieties of Hygrophila. The one on the left "corymbosa" and the other a type of "dwarf hygro".

B

They look like they're stem plants that have been grown emersed. That would make IDing them difficult until they transition into submerged growth.

The left looks a lot like reineckii and/or corymbosa, can't quite decide. The other pic, for me, is too hard to tell what I'm looking at, sorry.

The left looks a lot like reineckii and/or corymbosa, can't quite decide. The other pic, for me, is too hard to tell what I'm looking at, sorry.

Funny you should say that because when i search reineckii both of the plants come up however they are both different looking and leaves are different shapes hence my confusion about what is what. I also have green corymbosa in the tank and they just dont look like they could be one and the same. I think aqua_chem is on the money ill probably have to wait for the plants color to change then try and id them.

Can you get us a better pic of them? I'm finding pictures of emersed alternanthera that looks like either picture.

Hope these are better i can take as many as you like so if these arent good just say the word

Attachments

• image-2206089598.jpg
    image-2206089598.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2132497491.jpg
    image-2132497491.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3484884823.jpg
    image-3484884823.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3629337994.jpg
    image-3629337994.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 62
Part of me wants to think that they're BOTH alternanthera, but grown in different conditions. We'll have to wait and see though.

So just to clear things up a little. How can one tell if a plant was grown emersed first? I know plants sort of change and aclimate to ur tank but this is like detective work. I keep forgetting to check my plant dictionary to help better.

I don't know if there's a method to it, necessarily. Some get a glossy/greener look to them. For me it's mostly a "Have I ever seen anything like it?" type question. If no, it could very well be emersed.

That and many/most of the plants you buy in stores are grown emersed for convenience to the grower. Usually a decent bet that new plants are still in their emersed stage.

Back
Top Bottom