[help] Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hijnx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A little while back I bought a plant that I thought looked cool. Foolish me, I hadn't done my research and of course I didn't save any of the information about it. I'm concerned that it may only be semi-aquatic and is fully submerged. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• image-98463984.jpg
    image-98463984.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 81
I'm not sure exactly what it is, but what I can tell is thqt its definitely grown in its emersed form. Most aquarium plants grow either on land or in the water and have different growth forms for each. Just let it be and it should eventually grow some differently shaped leaves as well as a thinner stem.

When it gets a few inches of new growth it will be safe to trim off some of the old stem and replant it.

If you want an example of emersed vs submersed growth look up pictures of water wisteria. It has vastly different leaf shape in both forms.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but what I can tell is thqt its definitely grown in its emersed form. Most aquarium plants grow either on land or in the water and have different growth forms for each. Just let it be and it should eventually grow some differently shaped leaves as well as a thinner stem.

When it gets a few inches of new growth it will be safe to trim off some of the old stem and replant it.

If you want an example of emersed vs submersed growth look up pictures of water wisteria. It has vastly different leaf shape in both forms.

My wisteria grows in it's emersed form while submerged

A little while back I bought a plant that I thought looked cool. Foolish me, I hadn't done my research and of course I didn't save any of the information about it. I'm concerned that it may only be semi-aquatic and is fully submerged. Any help is much appreciated.

It's hygrophila corymbosa kompakt I have the same plant in my 75 gallon. Did you get it in one of those emmersed tubes at the pet store?

I spread it out and repositioned for better light and now it seems to be growing quite well. It's still shedding the occasional lower leaf, but all seems well. I plan to trim them up and hopefully get them a little bushier especially lower down. Can I just trim the bottom off to the height I want and replant them, or is there a better method?

EDIT: Reread Mebbid's post and got my answer.

Back
Top Bottom