help identify plant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
plant id please!

I found this plant growing in a local pond in Tennessee. I'm really curious as to what it is. I wad looking for looking for duckweed but didn't really know what I wad looking for and now I do. Any idea on what this is??

ForumRunner_20120910_180257.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_180328.jpg

Merged duplicate threads. Please only post 1 thread on the same subject.

I am not sure on the species, but it looks to be possibly a bog plant and not fully aquatic? Was it growing completely submerged, or was it poking out of the water?

The roots where a long strand and each place where the leaves are has roots sticking out. The leaves where on the water surface.

It is an interesting plant. Hopefully someone will come through with an ID.

I can't get a 100% positive ID from the pictures, but it's definitely a ludwigia species, likely either repens or palustris, in emersed form. Both of those species can get that red stem, and the leaf shapes are right too.

Thanks. Do these plants have to be planted in the substrate or can they float?

Its a barebottom tank. 10 gallon with an African clawed frog. I've been having alot of trouble with algae blooms. Green water over and over. I have a piece of Malaysian driftwood in there that I recently attached a annunias Nana to to see if it would out compete the algae. I've tried it all. I got a couple nerite snails in there too. I've used the algae killing meds with no luck, I've cut back on lights for a while now. So I though I would try plants. I read duckweed will do it but I don't know. I use 2 10w fluorescent compact bulbs in my Hood and have a whisper power filter. Any ideas or help with the algae? Are plants the way to go? This frog tries to eat anything that moves like altar eaters too! I don't really have alot of algae on the tank it decor, just the water.

Sounds like what you have is an algae known as "green water" or GW. Other than buying an expensive UV sterilizer, your best bet is to do a large water change, 80-90% or so, followed by a blackout of 3-5 days, then another large water change. But first do an ammonia test to make sure that's not making things worse.

What kind of light is recommended? I'm down to less than 8 hours if light a day. Also can this plant be attached to a piece of Malaysian driftwood and do good? I don't have substrate its bare bottom. Just though I may see hoe this plant does in the aquarium. Maybe it will help out with the algae.

Here is a new pic of that plant. These are bigger and have more root on them. I picked all the bad leaves off and it's been sitting in the 5 gallon bucket for a few days and seems to be doing great. I don't know what I'm gonna do with it or what it even is. Looks like it would probably take over my little 10 gallon though. I thought about putting one in just to see how it did but I've just been observing it in the bucket outside.

ForumRunner_20120916_111129.jpg

ForumRunner_20120916_111220.jpg

Back
Top Bottom