Help identify this growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been set-up for about 3 months. I have had a dw fungus for nearly 1.5 months, but is it a bit lighter in color and has a longer type of growth.

I recently upgraded my lighting, but I had noted this growth just prior.

Attachments

• 20140322_185102.jpg
    20140322_185102.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 87
That is black beard algae. What type of lighting do you have and how long do you run it daily? Is the tank planted? Do you know your nitrate level?

Was afraid of that. 29 gallon tank. Finnex planted plus lighting. 7.5 hour photoperiod; split into a 3.5 and 4 hr period with a 3 hr break. Planted with 7 anubias, 2 crypts, 3 java fern and frogbit. Was about to add more plants.

Test water weekly before 50 percent wc which is today. Today's tests: Ammonia and nitrites zero. Phosphates between 0.25 and 0.5. Nitrates between 0 and 5. My nitrates have typically been 5; I added the Frogbit about 10 days ago and that has probably decreased my nitrates.

Last edited:
Also, for more info, I dose pps pro with potassium-phosphate separate from nitrates. Not currently dosing nitrates, but maybe I need to based on today's testing? I use flourish comp once weekly for micros. I dose metricide 14 daily; I am building up slowly due to sensitive fish (habrosus). Currently at 1 ml/10 gallons. I have only been doing this fertilization plan for the past 3-4 weeks.

Rivercats, I know from your responses to some of my prior posts that you recommend particular ranges for nitrates and phosphates. My goals have been to get nitrates to 10 ppm and phosphates to 1 ppm. Does the BBA change this recommendation?

Last edited:
update: I removed the piece of dw from the tank and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. The algae wiped away without too much effort. So, the algae is now "gone" but I am sure that spores and other areas that I cannot see are still in there.

So now, I am faced with getting my tank right so that none comes back. Do I continue to dose nutrients trying to get my plants as healthy as possible? Or, do I limit nutrients until the algae problem is gone? I have seen both recommendations out there.

Don't limit ferts even when dealing with algae. I like nitrates at 10ppm and phosphates 1-3ppm. You will most likely need to start low dosing nitrates until you see how much you are going to need weekly. I'd start out with dosing 1/2 ml nitrates for every 10g daily and see where that raises the number to. You can keep increasing nitrate dosing until you get it where you want.

Thanks, Rivercats. A couple more questions if you don't mind.

As stated above, the BBA is now removed/gone, but I'm sure it could come right back. Would you recommend reducing my photoperiod to help prevent that?

Also, do you think that getting my metricide doses higher will help with the BBA problem?

Thanks

Limit photoperiod to 6 hours max or do a 3 hours on 2 hours off and 3-4 hours on. The siesta period makes it difficult for algae to grow as algae needs a longer photoperiod.

If you don't have any delicate fish or shrimp you can dose diluted Glut at 1ml to every 2 gallons. Or if you use it straight from the bottle you need 1/2ml Glut to every 2 gallons.

Thanks again. I have read the cory habrosus may be sensitive to glut. I am using metricide and am hoping to get to 1 ml per 5 gallons straight out of the bottle. So far they are tolerating well; I am currently at 1 ml per 10 and am increasing weekly

Back
Top Bottom