Help ID'ing this plant ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I salvaged these from a LFS a month or so ago. They were unnamed.

DSC02829.JPG

DSC02832.JPG

DSC02834.JPG

Notice the segments. They are maybe 12-inches tall, max. Does not seem to grow fast or tall but is throwing new leaves/stems. Maybe Eleocharis montevidensis or Isoetes lacustris ???

They are actually round leaves. Makes me think of chives a little bit... Definitely not pygmy chain sword (I have those two).

Well, they don't have a rhizome... Nor a bulb... More like just a root ball. The leaves are rigid and break easily if you bend them.

I have something very similar if not the same. I have never been able to ID it. Grows slowly, at least for me. I have something very much like it growing in my pond in huge clumps about as big around as a basketball.

I posted on Tom's board and he tells me it is Isoetes, which is another plant I was looking into.

http://www.lucidcentral.org/keys/APPW/html/isoetes.html

Here I took a piece out and broke it in half to show the structure a bit. It appears to have 2 viens that run the length of each leaf. Here you are looking at both ends of the break:

DSC03010.JPG

WoO - Good site (just bookmarked)... I am going to need to uproot one of these and study them a little closer.

Just looking at the description for that plant and "Dispersal by spores." never sounds like something you want in the tank.. but let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom