Help me explain high light to my parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need help convincing my parents that a petsmart tricolor led is not sufficient for a high light tank. Please help me explain in layman's terms the importance of proper lighting for high tech tanks. I'm asking for a quad T5HO fixture, 36". I need you guys to help me explain why a saltwater fixture or bulbs won't work and why the petsmart LEDs aren't sufficient. Also, please explain PAR and wattage requirements. Nothing I say can help them get it.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

You'd be better off selling them on a finnex led.. if they check power consumption and bulb replacement costs you'll lose that off the bat.. Google up stuff. It's all out there.. certain plants require higher light to photo synthesize and all that. Have them YouTube pearling plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do your parents do? Not creeping or anything, but you (and my translation, we) need to speak their language on this one.

For the record, the electricity costs take a decade or more to break even (maybe less now, should probably run the numbers again at some point). The bulb argument is better, but cheap bulbs will also put it quite a distance out.

I can't possibly fathom how running a single finnex led vs. A quad t5ho would be negligible in a few months? Has to be $25-$30 a year depending where you live??

My father is Vice President/Dean of Admissions at a college here in MD and my mother is Head Of Marketing and Sales at a moving corporation. It's not the long term costs. I need them to understand the reasons behind high light, i.e., why plants need it, distinction between high and low tech/light, a par explanation.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I need a high light fixture, a single finnex is low light on a 17" tall tank and two are only medium light

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Says who?? I'd beg to differ.. i certainly would not reccomended starting any higher than that.. a high light tank can go nightmare status so fast it's depressing.. one finnex planted plus on a 16" tall tank whooped me.. like total tear down..

The tank I'm modeling mine after has an 8 bulb t5ho fixture

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

That's all fine and dandy.. do you have any idea what goes into a high light planted tank? It not as simple as slapping a ton of light on it and walking away.. tom barr aside.. most of those show tanks are set up for a day.. co2.. ferts.. substrate ... plant load.. more co2.. balance balance balance.. not something that just happens overnight.

I know that, I've done quite a lot of research. I'm also getting a co2 system and I am already dosing fertilizers. I have 3 in of flora max and I am not going to turn around and do low light in my $60 worth of substrate and $50 in ferts.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Weren't you a participant in my Making the Leap thread?

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I know that, I've done quite a lot of research. I'm also getting a co2 system and I am already dosing fertilizers. I have 3 in of flora max and I am not going to turn around and do low light in my $60 worth of substrate and $50 in ferts.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

God speed young one;)

I can't possibly fathom how running a single finnex led vs. A quad t5ho would be negligible in a few months? Has to be $25-$30 a year depending where you live??

I think the Ray II 36" LED is 29w? A 36" 2xT5HO is 36w. You basically half-ish the power consumption. For 2x Ray II vs a 4x T5HO, you're saving ~$20 a year. 2x Ray II are $200 more than a basic 4x T5HO (approximately equal, par for par). So about 10 years on power consumption alone, but much less once you put bulbs into the mix.

This tank will be up for maybe four years, as I will eventually go to college. Ten year savings aren't affecting anyone really right now

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

30, 36 long by 17 high by 12 deep

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I think the Ray II 36" LED is 29w? A 36" 2xT5HO is 36w. You basically half-ish the power consumption. For 2x Ray II vs a 4x T5HO, you're saving ~$20 a year. 2x Ray II are $200 more than a basic 4x T5HO (approximately equal, par for par). So about 10 years on power consumption alone, but much less once you put bulbs into the mix.

I appreciate your stance man, believe it or not I still hang on your every post, with all due respect.. i was comparing a single 30" planted plus to a 4 bulb t5ho;) you know...

I appreciate your stance man, believe it or not I still hang on your every post, with all due respect.. i was comparing a single 30" planted plus to a 4 bulb t5ho;) you know...

Then... err, yea... lots less power consumption. But it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison though :ermm:

30, 36 long by 17 high by 12 deep

So, that's a pretty small tank, and that much light would be MASSIVE overkill. I have trouble running 2+ over a 40B for extended periods of time, and those are more spread out. You're asking for an unpleasant end with that kind of light.

At this point, we really need to have a goals talk about this tank. What exactly do you want to do in the tank? Carpet? Reds? Dutch? Iwagumi? Do you have a vision at this point? You should design your tank to have enough light to accomplish that, but only just.

I'm also planning on running pressurized co2, and a quad t5ho was advised by multiple in my other thread

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Back
Top Bottom