Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

Help me with these plant problems thanks

if you look at the sword, rotala or widgia and wisteria you can see some of the leafs problems that I have, could this be lack of co2? is this lack of nutrients?

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Almost looks like there's a Potassium deficiency there. At least it's part of the problem. Possibly even CO2. But since it's not really heavily planted, I'd have to lean more towards Potassium. But let's see what others say about it, I'm having a similar problem in a smaller tank (5.5G) with my java fern, looks kind of like yours.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like you ran out of NO3 at some point to me. It looks like you need root tabs for your swords too. Your java fern has lots of leaves that are broken or have rotted from NO3 being sucked out. Trim off those damaged leaves, they won't get any better. The alternanthera likely wants less light or more CO2 to stop stunting.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I test every week and my test comes out 20 to 30 of nitrate, I have one or two fishes that keep eating my leafs I'm assuming the wholes etc are from this.
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Don't trust nitrate tests. It can measure 20ppm even when you have almost none. I never test for it. I just dose 3x weekly to keep me in excess, and then do 50% PWC's.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Well, you can trust test kits BUT ONLY if you've calibrated them. If you haven't taken the time to do this, then your test results are indicators only. When using Test Kits in this manner, trust what the plants tell you over the Test Kits. Heck even if you have calibrated them your plants are a more accurate indicator since the Test Kit can be reading much higher levels than what is actually available to the plants to use. Just because something is present doesn't mean it's in a usable form.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't do pwc do to keeping the co2 levels without having a bunch of buckets around to change 50% of the water i only do this once a month.
so what you saying it is a nitrate and not a potassium dif?
how do I calibrate my test kits?
I am afriad of overdosing nitrates to the point that it becomes toxic.
Plants
Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

To calibrate your test kits you have to test them against a reference solution (preferable several different ones). How closely your results match the known value of the reference solution will tell you how accurate your test kit is. This then allows you to adjust your test results since you know how far off your test kit is. Since your kit could be more accurate within a certain range, it's best to test several values instead of just one.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant, plant problems

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com