Help! My plants are fading away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bidgette

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me why my sword plants are doing this? The substance of the leaves is getting thinner, becoming only a lacy "fabric" in parts.

They are new to this tank, approximately 2 weeks old. I have recently changed the lighting to a flourescent 40w 6500K daylight bulb, and the aquarium is between two windows with open arches. The windows are on the east side of the house, and only get direct sunlight very early in the am, and only about 1 hour per day.

The tank is a 55 gallon, also approximately 2 weeks old, and the nitrites have just gone down to .5 a couple of days ago. Last Sunday, I placed root tabs nearby. I do not treat with CO2.

2954703618_2cb1983576.jpg

2953855107_8d40ee653d.jpg

Thanx

:confused:

I placed some fert tabs under the gravel last sunday, some api root tabs. The lites normally come on when i get up in the am (about 5:30 or six) and go off about 10 pm.

A few basic things:

40W of light over a 55 gallon tank is less than 1 WPG (watts-per-gallon). That is really, really low for growing plants...very few plants will survive with that little lighting.

For the short term, I would consider java moss, java fern, maybe some anubias. The plant you provided the picture of looks like some sort of sword; I don't know of any swords that can grow at under 1 WPG though perhaps others with more experience could chime in.

The other thing, from looking at the plant, is that there are serious nutrient deficiencies. The root tabs you have put in will help (though the leaves that are already eaten away are beyond saving; if the plant has some "new" green leaves on it, then I would remove those highly damaged ones). You look to have deficiencies in nitrogen (nitrate) and potassium, perhaps iron as well. But it's hard to say, it could just be the lack of light.

I need to run so can't write more for now, there are some really good planted tank folks on this forum so I have no doubt they will chime in with more info.

40 watts on your 55 gallon tank is not very much light. maybe moss or crypts would be better for you.The root tabs will help but still remove them dead leaves and hope new ones grow in unless thats a lace plant.I agree with johnpaul.

Thanx all. I am enroute to upgrade lighting from one 48 inch flourescent to 2 - 36 inch T12, 55 watts 10000k. Parts are ordered to install in the canopy and should be here this week.

Will get more root tabs (didn't realize they were that vital!) Will also trim damaged leaves so undamaged will have a chance. Guess I wanted to make sure they weren't being eaten by my fish....

Appreciate your help.

clh

They aren't necessarily vital, but since your tank is not cycled, there are no nitrates(at the very least) for the plants to "feed" on.

I'm not a fan of T12 lighting myself. I prefer CF.

yep,
you need good lighting
3-5 watts per gallon.(try getting T5 lighting they are the best)
try using FLOURISH EXCEL. its the alternate of using pressurized Co2.
you need a good fertz. try TROPICA MASTER GROW. (you should see a boost in growth).
highly enriched substrate(this is the one of the single most important thing that many people over look), bright lighting, regular fertilization, 72-82 degrees, moderately soft to moderately hard water, and a pH between 6.8 and 7.5.
do this and you should not have any problems.
yes, you have to spend money but no one said that fresh water planted aquarium is easy, in fact its the most hardest out of all them. marine and fish it self are the easiest. when you add plants it becomes awhole new story.

hope this helps.

PS. "what you put into it is what you get out of it."

I was using an underground filter with the smaller tank, and my plants were doing REALLY well. Plus the lights were actually equivalent to the size of the tank.

I didn't even think about having to change the substrate with no UG filter this time. Guess I should have! sigh......

hi,
if you have lots of plants. please please please please do me a favour and take out the underground filter.
Yes they take away all the crap but they also take away the nutrients that the plant roots need. AND plants hate when the substrate is distrub often.
and the new lighting system you bought should do fine.
it looks like your on the right track.

ohh the substrate i recommand is ECO COMPLETE CaribSea Planted Aquarium | Eco-Complete Planted | Eco-Complete Red | Floramax

AND ADA aqua soil - amazonia II
aqua forest aquarium
this is if you want the best of the best for your plants.

take care.
let me know if you need any more help.

hi,
i forgot
can you send post a picture of the whole aquarium.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom