Help! My plants keep getting torn out if the gravel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidneyMittens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this plant (the plants on the left) from my LFS about a month ago, it has been doing fairly well and recently I went in and gave it a trim. While I was trimming them I saw the tops of three of them were ready to be cut off and replanted (they were shooting out a root near the top). When I cut them off and planted them they were doing fine. This was short lived once the terror of the shallows (my goldfish who seems to LOVE uprooting plants ) noticed them. She continually uproots them before they are able to get their roots into the gravel for a firm hold. I didn't have this issue when I planted the first plants since they were longer and I was able to plant them deeper. So my question is what should I do to allow these little plants get enough roots to resist being torn up? At the moment I have them floating because I didn't feel like replanting them every day.

Here is a picture of the tank. (Again the plant I am talking about is on the left and the little plants are floating at the top)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391908264.765845.jpg

Sorry my post is so long, any things helps! Thanks

I ended up using small river rocks around the base to anchor the plants. Hopefully it won't cause any bad side effects.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got this plant (the plants on the left) from my LFS about a month ago, it has been doing fairly well and recently I went in and gave it a trim. While I was trimming them I saw the tops of three of them were ready to be cut off and replanted (they were shooting out a root near the top). When I cut them off and planted them they were doing fine. This was short lived once the terror of the shallows (my goldfish who seems to LOVE uprooting plants ) noticed them. She continually uproots them before they are able to get their roots into the gravel for a firm hold. I didn't have this issue when I planted the first plants since they were longer and I was able to plant them deeper. So my question is what should I do to allow these little plants get enough roots to resist being torn up? At the moment I have them floating because I didn't feel like replanting them every day.

Here is a picture of the tank. (Again the plant I am talking about is on the left and the little plants are floating at the top)
View attachment 221524

Sorry my post is so long, any things helps! Thanks

:banghead: Goldfish and planted tanks aren't particularly good companions. I have two comets that have destroyed almost every plant i added for them. You could try placing heavyish stones to wedge the plants in place. The goldfish will probably still tear off some leaves. The journal thread i have linked at the bottom of my profile was how it looked a day or two after planting, now the only plants i can keep down are the ludwigia stems behind the driftwood. I abandoned the thread and replanting daily for them. If you aren't particularly in love with your goldfish you could try getting some different fish like Harlequin Rasboras or other Rasbora variety or some tetras.

You could try to allow the trimmings to establish roots by planting it in a container on a windowsill before putting it into the tank again.

Thanks for the input guys! I understand goldfish don't usually get along with plants well, the only reason that I am trying to get these plants to root is because my goldfish doesn't kill the plants after they root, she only tears them up before they root. Anyone else have any creative solutions?

When you have trimmings long enough leave some leaf attached and dig those into the substrate as anchors. Roots should grow as the leaves rot away. I have a few things i have tried and that trick sometimes worked. I also found that taking a long bare patch of stem, wrapping the stem around a rock and burying the rock worked. The stem will rot eventually too but roots should get time to grow. I hope you come to agreement with terror of the shallows about who is the gardener in the tank. My comets are now smart enough to tear apart floating stems too. I used to float them to allow some recoevery from grazing. Now that option is gone for me.

Those are some really good ideas! I never thought of using the leaves as anchors. Fortunately for me my goldfish seems to be docile enough towards the floating plants ATM. I figure when I upgrade later I may grow all of my trimmings in the 10g tank with some neons so they're larger before she can get to them. Thanks for all the replies everyone, if you have any other ideas feel free to post them! I'll probably put an update or two up here if I find something that works really well.

I've kept large fancy GF for many years and always in planted tanks. If you research under planted goldfish tanks in the freshwater showcase section you can get some really good idea. Also I always used these anchors for any stem plants.... Professional Plant Anchors. Plants you can attach to rocks and driftwood that GF tend not to mess with at all are Anubia's, Java Ferns, and Bolbitus.

Another thing is GF will often leave plants alone if they are fed a diet rich in veggies and some fruit. Cooked frozen peas that are de-shelled, blanched zucchini and cucumber, broccoli, and many others work very well. I feed a good brand sinking pellet such as Pro-Gold or Hakari usually in the morning, then later in the day give them fresh veggies or fruit. Or you can do it the other way around. By adding fresh foods it helps to satisfy their desire for greens plus it's very healthy for them. I also give them a handful of duckweed during the summer months that I grow outside in a water garden pot. They act like they are given candy and can clean up a ton of it in a matter of 2 or so hours.

I'm glad to see someone else is able to do what I am attempting XD thanks for all of the great advice, I will definitely get some of these anchors!

Back
Top Bottom