Help, Plant Deficiency. Turning brown and yellow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass95

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a planed 10 gallon fish tank, running for a month now. The substrate is eco complete and I dose seachem flourish and api co2 booster. I added eco complete and the plants at the same time. I have a 10 watt light bulbs that is meant for a planted tanks. I leave the lights running for 6-8 hours daily. Plants I have are melon sword, amazon sword, brazilian pennywort, anubias, java fern. My lighting is fluorescent.

The leaves of my amazon sword are turning yellow then a day later starts to turn brown. My anubias lefts are startng to get big holes. I have trim some of the brown and yellow leaves.

Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct - Walmart.com

Attachments

• IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0343.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG0351.jpg
    IMAG0351.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0353.jpg
    IMAG0353.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG0357.jpg
    IMAG0357.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 90
I would point to lighting as the culprit - that is just not enough light to have a flourishing planted tank, even with lower light plants as you have selected.

Decaying of the leaves like that signifies nutrient deficiency. Despite having eco complete, heavy root feeders still need root tabs. I would suggest osmocote + tabs for it.

I would agree, except for the speed at which it is happening, which is why I would point to light. Of course, root tabs would be a cheap thing to try, before buying a new fixture. A few dollars and a couple weeks will tell you if it is N deficiency, so definitely not bad advice.

What kind of lighting would you recommend? Watts? Would this one be good?

Attachments

• 1423100634925.jpg
    1423100634925.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 72
Where can I get osmocote +?

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can also get API root tabs at petsmart or petco. Also, I hear peabody's paradise has some really good ones online for a good price.

Is osmocote + or api root tab safe for shrimp?

Also some plants have adapt to your tank. Some Swords are grown emersed and may need to shed leaves and grow new submerged leaves.

Root tabs for sure.

More light. I use two 10watt mini CFLs 6,500K over my 10g.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My lighting is has two 10watt fluorescent and it is 6,500 K. If CFLs are better than I'll buy them

My lighting is has two 10watt fluorescent and it is 6,500 K. If CFLs are better than I'll buy them

What kind of bulbs are they ?

I use mini CFLs because I have an incandescent hood.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These are the lights

Attachments

• 1423241657955.jpg
    1423241657955.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 70
Those are CFLs. CFL = compact fluorescent light, the type that screws into a normal light socket.

Those lights should be fine. The plants may just be transitioning to your tank ??

Root tabs for sure. You can buy some from members here. API root tabs aren't great from what I hear.

I use DIY Osmocote Plus tabs.
Mine were 50 for $8 incl shipping.

I grew these under your type of lights.
We were confused when you said 10watts. You have 20watts total over your 10g.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423245844.601871.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423245863.232944.jpg

Try Crypts, when you get root tabs. They are my favorite aquarium plant.

Add in API LeafZone as well. Flourish comprehensive + LeafZone will cover Micros and Macros. I add both at the same time.

How long does the transition phase for the plants take? Its been a month since I planted them

Back
Top Bottom