Help! Snails Dying on Filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjsuper76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have (had) 10 mystery snails cruising around in my 55 gallon planted tank, and every few days I find another one stuck on the HOB filter intake. This is killing them! either by trapping them there or actually pulling them apart. My wife rescued one this morning, I hope he makes it.

Anyone else have this problem? any ideas how to keep them from getting killed on the intakes? please help!!

Also, I had 5 gouramis mysteriously die...all seemed fine, no evidence of disease or injury....just one by one over a week they died. Also most of my otos died too. The Tetras and corys appear to be completely unaffected. I was thinking maybe the Flourish Excel or Trace might have hurt them?

Very discouraged right now with the entire tank... =(

sjsuper76 said:
I have (had) 10 mystery snails cruising around in my 55 gallon planted tank, and every few days I find another one stuck on the HOB filter intake. This is killing them! either by trapping them there or actually pulling them apart. My wife rescued one this morning, I hope he makes it.

Anyone else have this problem? any ideas how to keep them from getting killed on the intakes? please help!!

Also, I had 5 gouramis mysteriously die...all seemed fine, no evidence of disease or injury....just one by one over a week they died. Also most of my otos died too. The Tetras and corys appear to be completely unaffected. I was thinking maybe the Flourish Excel or Trace might have hurt them?

Very discouraged right now with the entire tank... =(

I've lost 2 that way, one got it's face ripped off :(. Not the brightest bulbs in that pack are they.

That sounds like a lot of fist dying for no apparent reason. Are you doing regular water quality tests and periodic partial water changes to remove nitrates?
You could try putting a sponge pre filter over the filter intake siphon although it might reduce water flow.

Back
Top Bottom