help!-water readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys,
Just did a 50% water change. Same 10.0ppm Phosphate reading. My tap water is .25 phosphate reading!--
Nitrate level dropped to 20 after water change
Help!
Cliff NY

What kind of phosphate kit? Maybe get a new one. Try diluting your tank water and testing again. Is ten the highest reading on the test?

Rich, Purrbox
Yes- 10ppm is the highest reading. Liquid test kit is from aquarium pharmacueticals.--I also saw another guys post having the same problem!--"test turns dark blue"
Remember--it works fine with my tap water. (.25)
What do you mean by diluting my water?
What are the readings I strive for with Ammonia, Phosphate, Nitrate, and PH for great plant health?
Im going to draft a spreadsheet sheet and track my readings.
Thanks again
cliff NY

Ammonia should always be zero. Anything else indicates the tank is cycling (either initial or mini) or that there is a dead fish/plant matter that needs to be removed from the tank. Ammonia can cause Green Water (you really really don't want to fight that one) and will harm your fish.

If you're dosing to specific levels then you'd be looking for something along the following:
Nitrate 20-40ppm
Phosphate 1-4ppm (PO4 should generally be 1ppm for every 10-20ppm of Nitrate)
It's much easier to use EI (Estimative Index) for dosing, and I would recommend that you give it a try.

The specific pH isn't as important. Under normal tank conditions it would be used in combination with KH to determine CO2 levels if you were injecting CO2.

To get a more accurate reading than 10ppm+ you need to dilute your sample with either RO or Distilled water. Since these won't have any PO4 you can control how broad your test kit will go. Of course the degree of accuracy will decrease the more you dilute the solution. For instance if you mix half tank water and half RO water, you would multiply your test results by 2 to get the reading. So if the diluted sample reads 8ppm, then you know you actually have 16ppm of Phosphate.

Yes, can someone please tell what are the good levels for plants health and fish health in the same tank for phospate, nitrate, PH, and nitrite levels. I also also added baking soda to the tank to increase the PH since I had very acid water, the baking soda made the PH increase to about 7.3

Purboxx,
Im not dosing anything currently. Ferts are in the mail! I dont understand diluting the sample with 50% distilled water than multiply by 2. i understand the ratio and math but why does that give you a more accurate reading?
all the dry ferts you recommended should be here in a few days.
Is lighting an issue? 2x65w x11hours?
thanks

Because you have a phosphate reading over 10ppm by diluting the sample by 50% you allow the test kit to read upto 20ppm. If the test kit still reads the max then you can further dilute the sample to rest at higher levels. It's only more accurate in that you can determine whether you have around 16ppm instead of just more than 10ppm.

Your lighting is only an issue in that it's getting into that grey area where you may need CO2 to avoid algae, especially if you're using more energy efficient fixture like compact flourescents. The duration is well withing normal for a planted tank.

OOOOOOOOOh! Now I get the dilute part! Lets say its a16ppm-What harm is high phosphate? The light I have is a coralite compact fluorescent. 130w -Ferts on their way--Saving $$$ for Co2 setup! :)

Unless you get up to toxicity levels (not sure exactly how high that is) there really aren't any problems with it other than being wasteful if you're dosing phosphates and interferance with the pH/KH relationship. It's more that high levels indicate that there is probably a problem with your source water, your feeding, unnecessary water additives, your phosphate dosing, or another nutrient is bottoming out.

Purrbox,
Well-ill change the filter carbon tonight and make sure i rinse any plant debris from filter if any. I get my dry ferts tomorrow and will start to dose per Greg Watson instructions-or yours! I dont know how much fert to dump in tank.
Should I drop back on my light hours? I'm at 11hr. 2x65w. compact florescent.
Thanks
Cliff--17 degrees today-ugh!

I had given you a link to EI Light back on the first page of the thread. Check it out. One of the listed dosing schedules should fit your tank.

You lighting duration is fine. You just want to stick between 8-12hrs per day. More if you want to encourage plant growth especially when trying to get a tank to fill in. Less if you are battling algae or trying to maintain your current scape.

Ooooo double digit temps! You're so lucky. I'll trade! It's -7F with windchills of -25F here.

Purrbox,
Yes! thanks for the EI light link. I hope to get the fert delivery tomorrow. I am fighting some algae growth on plant leaves but not on glass or driftwood. Im going to pull out the Glosso---It grew in too high not flat--I'll fill the area with Baby tears that is low. My giant hairgrass also has some algae on it. What CO2 system do u recommend? I understand the regulator is the crucial part? Should I keep my carbon bag in filter?
-25 degrees? shoot where are you? When are u moving to Arizona?? :)

Thanks again
Cliff

I'm personally using a custom built regulator by Rex Griggs. So far, I'm extremely pleased with it and would gladly buy it again if I had to do it over. The Milwaukee brand regulators are also supposed to be pretty good. See if you can buy a used cylindar locally, that would give you the best deal for that part. The I'd recommend either a powered reactor (in tank or inline) or the mist method for diffusion.

You can remove or leave the carbon bag as you choose. It really isn't necessary, but shouldn't be harming anything either.

Purrbox,
I understand welding supply houses have the cylinders? 5lbs? My micro sword mat was floating this morning! I think my loach must have been hungry and was digging!
16 degrees here today!
Where are you from?
Hopefully I get ferts today!!
Cliff

You can check several locations including welding supply, firestations, and beer supply. The 5 and 10 lbs cylindar are the most common sizes used by hobbiests, but some have gone as small as either a 2.5 lbs or as large as a 20 lbs cylindar.

The microsword may stay put better if you separate and plant the individual plants separately. This will also make it easier for it to spread and fill in an area.

(For my location all you need to do is look at the line under my number of posts.)

Purrbox,
Iowa!! Thats where Greg Watson hails from! I got my ferts today. Going the EI light method. So I can use a beer brewing co2 tank? I see aluminum ones 5lb for around $50. I'll also look into the Rex Griggs regulators--Any specific reason his is better than whats out there?
I dont have the patience to break down the sword plant and plant piece by piece--Like i could do with the glosso! Ugh--the glosso looks terrible growing high!
Im going to yank it and put more Baby tears-they sit lower.
Well-going to mix up CSM-B solution!
Thanks again for your patience with me.
Cliff

Rex uses quality parts. I'm a stickler for quality and craftmanship, and had absolutely no complaints to the job he did constructing my regulator. Another reason that I like his regulators, was that I was able to pick out exactly what I needed and could pass on the things that I didn't want. Finally he had the best prices on manifolds that I could find anywhere, which made it easier getting CO2 to all my tanks.

That being said, I haven't used any other CO2 regulator for my tanks so I can't give a direct comparison. What I've listed are the reasons why I choose to go with Rex Griggs regulator and why I'm happy with what I received.

Purrbox,
thanks-Im going to start dosing the dry ferts from Greg and see what happens--If I get algea I understand I need to start considering Co2?

Cliff
I use a welding supply place on Jericho Tpke in Westbury for my tank and CO2 refills. Very friendly and reasonable. FWIW

Brian,
Jericho turnpike? By home depot? I definitely am getting some algea bloom. perfect little spots on rocks, and hairlike on my hair grass (no pun intended) :)
I also have the lead weights that hold down my baby tears--are coating with white film. Took them out this morning. How do I hold down the baby tears without weights?
The algea concerns me especially since im going to start dosing ferts today.
Ugh
Cliff

Back
Top Bottom