Help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac1447

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I have a 20 gallon planted freshwater tank with eco complete substrate and a good amount of java ferns, java moss and anubias. My plants were doing great but I began to notice black beard algae on my plants and driftwood. I also have the green algae on my rocks and glass. My tank is 4 months old and I test my water every week (ph, ammonia, nitrates- after a weekly water change) I've used seachem root tabs once since I set up my tank and use seachem flourish every water change as well. After researching algae issues I shut my light off for 3 days and after that reduced my light time to 10 hours/day and added API C02 liquid booster, I have begun dosing this daily. I also spot treated the algae with hydrogen peroxide. I wasn't noticing a change so today I took out the affected rocks and driftwood and will attempt to kill the algae with a hydrogen peroxide and water solution. Do you guys have any advice on how to keep the algae at bay? I have 2 Cory Cats (I will be purchasing a 3rd Cory Cat), a few Nerite Snails and Amano shrimp but the algae comes back every time. I read that my c02 levels are messed up but I'm so new at this hobby that I am not sure how to get this corrected. Any advice is much appreciated

Hi guys I have a 20 gallon planted freshwater tank with eco complete substrate and a good amount of java ferns, java moss and anubias. My plants were doing great but I began to notice black beard algae on my plants and driftwood. I also have the green algae on my rocks and glass. My tank is 4 months old and I test my water every week (ph, ammonia, nitrates- after a weekly water change) I've used seachem root tabs once since I set up my tank and use seachem flourish every water change as well. After researching algae issues I shut my light off for 3 days and after that reduced my light time to 10 hours/day and added API C02 liquid booster, I have begun dosing this daily. I also spot treated the algae with hydrogen peroxide. I wasn't noticing a change so today I took out the affected rocks and driftwood and will attempt to kill the algae with a hydrogen peroxide and water solution. Do you guys have any advice on how to keep the algae at bay? I have 2 Cory Cats (I will be purchasing a 3rd Cory Cat), a few Nerite Snails and Amano shrimp but the algae comes back every time. I read that my c02 levels are messed up but I'm so new at this hobby that I am not sure how to get this corrected. Any advice is much appreciated

Quick question, what light are you using? I'd say your light is on for far too long. I'd knock your lighting back to 4-6 hours untill you get a handle on the algae. Even after you win the battle I would go no more than 8-10 hours.

I think your biggest issue is your light is either too strong or on for too long.

Do you dose any trace elements?
Do you inject co2 or use a DIY system?

Quick question, what light are you using? I'd say your light is on for far too long. I'd knock your lighting back to 4-6 hours untill you get a handle on the algae. Even after you win the battle I would go no more than 8-10 hours.

I think your biggest issue is your light is either too strong or on for too long.

Do you dose any trace elements?
Do you inject co2 or use a DIY system?

The light I am using is a Nicrew LED Hood Light that has 18watts. I will certainly reduce my light time even more. Also, I am not dosing any trace elements where could I buy these and are there certain ones you recommend? The only c02 I use is the API c02 liquid booster (not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about) I dose this daily by using a dropper and adding it to various spots in my tank. Should I be using a different c02 to inject? If I inject c02 do i still need a DIY system?

The light I am using is a Nicrew LED Hood Light that has 18watts. I will certainly reduce my light time even more. Also, I am not dosing any trace elements where could I buy these and are there certain ones you recommend? The only c02 I use is the API c02 liquid booster (not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about) I dose this daily by using a dropper and adding it to various spots in my tank. Should I be using a different c02 to inject? If I inject c02 do i still need a DIY system?

Depends what plants your growing. Api booster is fine for low tech tanks.

You should be dosing seachem flourish to recommended and seachem trace 2-3 times per week. Bring the lights down to 6 hours per day for a few weeks and buy some seachem excel and spray the BBA with a syringe. Excel has an algicide in it so it will kill
The BBA. No need to spread the co2 booster around the tank just dose it straight into the top of the tank.

If you are zapping BBA with seachem excel tho don't use your Api booster as they are the same product but excel has glut to kill algae

Ac...

A few things. Slow growing, low light plants don't require a CO2 system. They'll get plenty from the surrounding air. CO2 is great for high light plants, that need added nutrients, but you don't have those.

By adding nutrients to the water, anything not used by your other aquatic plants are taken up by algae. Under control, algae is a sign you have a healthy tank. Algae is a good, natural water filter and a food supplement for the fish.

There are a couple of things you can do to control it. Reduce the nutrients and that includes fish food with phosphate. Up your water changes to at least half the volume of the tank weekly. Smaller tanks need a 50 percent change every 4 to 5 days. Larger tanks can go a bit longer, but still need a least half the water changed every week or so.

This hobby is 100 percent about keeping the water clear of dissolved wastes and other nutrients, to maintain a balanced tank. Change a lot of water every few days and you'll have no tank problems.

B

Awesome I will head out to get some seachem excel and once i begin using it I will stop using the API booster. Also will reduce my light time to 6 hours thanks so much for your guidance

Ac...

A few things. Slow growing, low light plants don't require a CO2 system. They'll get plenty from the surrounding air. CO2 is great for high light plants, that need added nutrients, but you don't have those.

By adding nutrients to the water, anything not used by your other aquatic plants are taken up by algae. Under control, algae is a sign you have a healthy tank. Algae is a good, natural water filter and a food supplement for the fish.

There are a couple of things you can do to control it. Reduce the nutrients and that includes fish food with phosphate. Up your water changes to at least half the volume of the tank weekly. Smaller tanks need a 50 percent change every 4 to 5 days. Larger tanks can go a bit longer, but still need a least half the water changed every week or so.

This hobby is 100 percent about keeping the water clear of dissolved wastes and other nutrients, to maintain a balanced tank. Change a lot of water every few days and you'll have no tank problems.

B
Thank you I will make sure I do not overfeed and will do 50% water changes weekly since my tank is pretty small

Back
Top Bottom