Help with CO2 please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, yesterday I bought a finnex Ray2 LED light for my 28gallon bowfront. its in the 7,000k range with about 30 par. From what I understand, that puts me into the moderate-high light range...correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, as of now, I've never used CO2. I use API liquid CO2 Booster in my smaller tanks, but not real CO2. Basically, I'm pretty well clueless.

My plan is to run it on a paintball canister. A friend of my boyfriend owns a paintball park so I can get the canisters and refills for a great price which is why. If you think it's better worth it to buy a 5lb canister or something of the sort please state why and I'll think about it. I also plan to buy the adjustment piece I need to hook up from the canister to the regulator since regulators aren't made for paintball tanks normally.

Anyways, here's where my main issue comes to play. I have no clue what I absolutely need/should have and should be looking for in a regulator. What makes one better than the other?
I've had some people say that unless you are spending $80+ on a regulator you're getting junk. I can't believe this is true. Their reasoning was because regulators for cheap don't come with needle valves and solenoids and what not..but from the looks of it, I'm finding pretty decent regulators on Ebay with solenoids, magnetic valve controls, double guages, etc. for around $40-60. That's the price range I'd like to stay in as I've got other upgrades I'd like to do to other tanks as well. I think the max I am willing to spend on one would be around $75. If I have to go over that I'll go the DIY route instead.
Here are a few of the ones I am talking about::
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CO2-regulator-with-solenoid-magetic-valve-control-/250582166021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a57dc6a05

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BURKET-450413X-CO2-REGULATOR-/190826630286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e274c8e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Co2-Regulator-with-Soleniod-valve-/130859040067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e77ce7d43

and here is a cheap "kit" that still looks pretty decent to me:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CO2-Regulator-SET-Valve-Diffuser-Bubble-Counter-hose-/270720456230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f08325626

now, do any of those look like they'd be worth purchasing?

a couple other questions:
1. what other products should I definitely buy. I know I should buy a diffuser, CO2 proof airline tubing, check valve, a bubble counter, and a CO2 level checker....is that all? Any suggestions on what are good ones to go with for a good price?

2. When I finally do get this whole system set up, how many BPS should I be running on a 28g tank? Is 1BPS pretty standard for all sizes or should it be more?

3. What other ferts should I be using? Should I keep up with the API CO2 booster? Currently all I use on the 28 is: flourish comp. 1x/month, and some root tabs. It is an NPT so I'm not sure if ferts would even really be needed?

I think that's all for now. If anyone has any suggestions on which route to go or anything at all, please comment!

I'd like to follow along and see other opinions, since you know mine :)

Anyway... The first link on Ebay comes from Hong Kong. The same regulator is on Amazon for the same price. I can't tell from the description, but it sounds like a single stage regulator, despite have dual gauges. If it's dual stage, with a reduced outward pressure, then it might be worth it.

Otherwise, for not much more, you can buy a milwaukee.

BPS would depend on the plants you're keeping. But probably for a 28g, I'm guessing at least 2 bps. The indicator (aka: drop checker) would give you a visual approximation of the co2 saturation in the water -- you can adjust accordingly based on that reading.

I have the Milwaukee regulator and like it a lot, was on sale at my LFS for $85 but usually sells for $100-120 in stores. Most "good" regulators are set up for the larger co2 tanks but you can get a cga320 to paintball adapter for about $15 on amazon, that's what I did. Regulator has everything you need in it except diffuser and drop checker, both of those can be really pretty cheap, fluval diffusers run about $12 and drop checkers about the same in stores

I recommended any regulator with dual gauge, Milwaukee or Aquatek are 2 popular brands (I use Aquatek). You will definitely need a check valve and some sort of diffusion. A simple glass or GLA one is great for beginners. I also recommend a bubble counter as well as this will give you a visual as to how much your dosing. I use pH controller with mine and it makes everything even easier, but that can be optional. I also recommended co2 tubing as well. These are my recommendations for items to get.

I'm planning on doing the same thing as excel isnt doing the trick in my tank anymore. In regards to the diffuser I'm going the DIY route. There's an awesome how to on making an in-line co2 reactor which is arguably the best way to diffuse co2 according several enthusiasts and forums. I wouldn't go paint ball route, you'll be filling that thing up CONSTANTLY. Go 5-10lb canister

Well, I placed a bid on the 2nd link, but was outbid each time, and with the shipping prices included in the other two, I guess it may be worth it to look into Milwaukee or aquatek

I probably wouldn't use anything below the Milwaukee or Aquatek regulators. An equivalent chinese model shouldn't be much more than $10-15 less, and if you're dumping $100+ into a CO2 system you should get something you know's going to work. If you're going pressurized, you should think about spending another $20 and getting dry ferts. Green Leaf Aquarium is a good place for this, and they have a good explanation of dosing regimens there as well.

Has anybody had any experience with UP Aqua products?

I'll definitely look into dry ferts, although I know nothing about them...time to research!!

I bought an UP Aqua diffuser.. I'm not very pleased with the quality but it worked. I also just bought a bag a UP Aqua shrimp sand substrate. Other than that, nope...

+1 on aqua_chem's rationale on investing in a quality regulator. It's a sound investment and IMO this is an area of the hobby you shouldn't skimp on.

Dry ferts from GLA will save you money in the long run. They last a long time. Get the PPS-Pro package.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom