Help with crinum calamistratum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I recently bought a crinum calamistratum plant it's very small doesn't have much roots maybe about 3 strands and about 4 ish leaves

At the moment I am finding it difficulty for it to stay rooted in my tank in the morning I always find it floating about is there anything I can do?

Also I haven't had any growth no new leaves have appeared or anything

Can someone help me?

Thanks

I plant it pretty deep the plant doesn't have much of a bulb yet for some reason it's very small so I bury the the bottom part in the substrate but it still keeps coming out

I'm not sure about any fish I haven't seen any fish eating or picking it during the day don't know about during the night?

Is there anything I could do to help it grow as I haven't had any new leaves grow at all

This is a slow growing plant, so just be patient with new leaves. Make sure that the bulb isn't fully under the substrate as the plant will rot. Maybe get some plant weights to keep the plant down until it roots in.

Is the roots slow growing as well as the leaves? Don't think I've seen much root growth
Things is I don't know how to plant it I understand it will rot if I bury it but then it keeps coming out if it's not properly buried

What I have done is put a plant weight around the plant so it's sitting just on top of the bulb is that?

Is the roots slow growing as well as the leaves? Don't think I've seen much root growth
Things is I don't know how to plant it I understand it will rot if I bury it but then it keeps coming out if it's not properly buried

What I have done is put a plant weight around the plant so it's sitting just on top of the bulb is that?

Get some string out and tie to to the plant base or some DW ;)

Here is how I have planted it with a plant weight around the plant as you can see again it's been probably pulled as it's tilted and roots are showing

Is that alrigbt

IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG

Also I don't see any crumpled leaves like how a crinum should look like why is that? Only the 2 leaves that were already on the plant when it came has a slight crumbled leaves
But the new ones don't seem to have it...

Hello anyone? Also the 1 or 2 of the leaves are starting to get black algae on it?
Why is this and how do I prevent it from killing the plant and leaves?

Thanks

Hello anyone? Also the 1 or 2 of the leaves are starting to get black algae on it?
Why is this and how do I prevent it from killing the plant and leaves?

Thanks

Trim all the old leaves off, no doubt this plant was grown emersed. All the old leaves will die off while it adjusts to its new environment.

Bury the roots the best you can. It should get a good grab eventually and you won't need the plant weight.

But if I cut of all the old leaves how will the plant grow if it doesn't have any leaves to absorb light?

Back
Top Bottom