Help with Elodia? (anacharis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apollo6626

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but I'm having a problems with my tank.
I'm attempting to start a planted tank, and was told to start with Elodia due to it's simple nature. I put it in two weeks ago and new shoots have been sprouting from all the stems. Today i look at it though and some of the stems with spouts are brown an crumbling, what should I do? P.S. the sprouts are very green and healthy.
Info on my tank:
55 gallon
5 Angels, 2 Cory Cats, and 5 Neons
2 Emperor Power Filters, and an Undergravel for the heck of it
75 degrees constant
An aqueon Floramax Blub

Please help, Thanks!

I have a problem with this occasionally also.

I think the fish eat at the bottom of the stems and tear it from the roots as its not an extremely hardy plant.

That's my opinion. Could be wrong. Maybe you'll get more,
But I find the stems of these plants floating all the time :|. Kinda frustrating lol.

The lighting is an Aqueon T8 Floramax. And no, no fertilizers, i'm new to the whole plant idea so i don't want to mess around with anything yet

Plants need to have some nutrients/fertilizers along with light to grow. You can get something as simple as Seachems Flourish Comprehensive to use weekly after WC's. Also cut off the rotting stems and float the stems for awhile and let them develop some roots before planting. Also plant stems individually so that each stems leaves are almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around them. Light and water circulation needs to be able to reach the lower leaves/stems.

Your Anacharis

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but I'm having a problems with my tank.
I'm attempting to start a planted tank, and was told to start with Elodia due to it's simple nature. I put it in two weeks ago and new shoots have been sprouting from all the stems. Today i look at it though and some of the stems with spouts are brown an crumbling, what should I do? P.S. the sprouts are very green and healthy.
Info on my tank:
55 gallon
5 Angels, 2 Cory Cats, and 5 Neons
2 Emperor Power Filters, and an Undergravel for the heck of it
75 degrees constant
An aqueon Floramax Blub

Please help, Thanks!

Hello apollo...

Anacharis does well floated, close to the light source. This is a tropical plant and used to long hours of daylight. I have the tank lights on a timer set for 12 hours and 12 off. It grows well if you change the tank water weekly and change quite a bit. Half the volume of the tank isn't too much.

I keep this plant in all my Fancy Guppy tanks and the fish thrive in it. In addition to the ferts the fish produce, the plant likes a little liquid dosed a couple of times a week, when I top off the tanks. Tetra FloraPride is a good one, but there are others available. I just dose a little in my replacement water.

B

Thanks a lot guys! So basically, you need to add some kind of fertilizer, and plant food..? And so the dead parts...because not all the plants are dead, just remove the live and float them?

Yes you need a good liquid fertilizer, cut off the bad parts of the plants and float them.

Back
Top Bottom