Help with Filter/Lighting choices for Planted 36G Bow Front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick Cox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I have had a 20g community tank for several years and have decided to add a larger 36g Bow Front tank. This will also be a fresh water tank but will be planted. I haven't finalized my fish selection but it will likely be some schooling tetras along with either Gourami, Rainbow Fish or Angel Fish and then some bottom feeders. I have a couple of questions on equipment so I appreciate any input on this.

1. Filter - I can't decide between a Marineland Emporer HOB filter and a Fluval 205 Canister. If the canister would be beneficial to the tank, I will go that route but if not I guess I would save the $100 and choose the HOB. Which should I choose and why?

2. Lights - Since this is a planted tank, I understand that I need upgraded lights but I am not sure what to get. I do recall reading about an online company that sells high output lighting at a lower price but I don't remember the website name. So, any suggestions on lights?

I am sure there will be more but these are my main two equipment questions right now. Thanks!

I prefer the Canister filters myself.. but that is just me. I'm sure a HOB would be fine. I can't think of any good reason why one would be better than the other if both do the job. The only thing I can really think of is that the suction (input) would be on one side of the tank and the output on the other to create some kind of flow.

Before looking into lights you may want to first look into what plants you want. If you get T5HO bulbs you are going to be looking at high light and then will be looking into CO2 and ferts. You really only need that with plants that want/need high light. If going with just Java moss and Java firns (plus some swords) then you really don't need to spend the $$$ on the HO lights plus all the extras that go along with it.

So, what are you plans? What kind of plants? What kind of budget?

EDIT: This may do better in the Planted section instead of where it is currently located...

I agree....the decision between canister and HOB is mainly a personal preference. For anyone that will consider injecting co2 (you don't have to) I'd suggest a canister. HOBs can outgas the co2 you put into the water, which is why I suggest the canister. But, if you just want low to medium plants and don't plan on co2, then you could save some money and go with a HOB. Either would work for your tank IMO.

As for the lights, I agree, its best to see what plants you want to have and then buy the lighting that coordinates.

Was the website fishneedit.com? They sell pretty inexpensive lighting. A double T5HO fixture would be ok for your tank and wouldn't be too much lighting. Is your tank 30" long? A double 24w T5HO fixture would work for low light....a double 39w fixture would work for low and medium. You wouldn't have to have co2 IMO, just get alot of plants. The double 39w is 36" long, so you'd have some excess hanging off, but not much....the legs should be adjustable. I have a 36" fixture over my 29g (30" long) and I bought it because the bulbs are as long as the tank. 24w fixtures come in 30", but the bulbs are only 24" long...so you have some dark corners.

Smitty, I think this is fine where it is, since we are discussing equipment. :) Patrick, I edited your title so that people would know exactly what kind of info you are needing. That will hopefully get you more responses!

Was the website fishneedit.com? They sell pretty inexpensive lighting. A double T5HO fixture would be ok for your tank and wouldn't be too much lighting. Is your tank 30" long? A double 24w T5HO fixture would work for low light....a double 39w fixture would work for low and medium. You wouldn't have to have co2 IMO, just get alot of plants. The double 39w is 36" long, so you'd have some excess hanging off, but not much....the legs should be adjustable. I have a 36" fixture over my 29g (30" long) and I bought it because the bulbs are as long as the tank. 24w fixtures come in 30", but the bulbs are only 24" long...so you have some dark corners.

Ah, good points. When thinking HO I imediately thought high light but didn't think there are steps involved, not all go for the high wattage ones like me :)

Thanks all for your input. On plant selection, to be honest, I don't really know enough to say the specific plants I want. (I guess I need to figure that out! :) )

I do know that I would like some driftwood and maybe a bit of rock in the tank. I also want to keep some of the substrate exposed with maybe a few fist size rocks sticking out of the gravel. On plants, I would like some color including green, maroon and yellow as well as some different textures. Kristin, I like the variety of plants in your 40G tank so maybe something along these lines in terms of plant selection and variety. Finally I think I will plant more around the perimeter and leave the front middle fairly open with maybe a path leading back to one corner of the tank as well.

On the lights, I remembered the website I was told about. It is http://shop.aquatraders.com/Default.asp Any thoughts on this?

Also I would consider Co2 if that will make my tank look better. I guess maybe it depends on the type of plants I use?

Thanks again. I will check out aquariumplants.com to select some plants.

Odyssea is known for their equipment having issues (they're MH units used to catch fire). Do some research on it to see if users have had issues with this unit.

I have one on my tank (the older version) and I think I would have been better doing a retrofit with the ah supply lights. I didn't know this when I bought it, but bulb spacing, especially with cf's reduce the light output by maybe 30-40% (major guesstimate inside my head) due to restrike of the bulbs. I have 130 watts over my 29 gallon, and soon I will replace it with an led fixture (if I eventually finally finish the fixture for my 10 gallon). I thought I was getting more light, but one bulb with a good reflector will be much better than two bulbs with inadequate reflectors and really cramped bulbs. If you do decide to go the odyssea route, definitely go the t5ho route. I think 4 bulb fixtures (I think 96 or so watts for 24" and 130 or something for 30") go for $60-90

Also, most 20L and 29 gallon tanks use 24" fixtures and 21" bulbs, although I'm not sure if there are any cons to having a 30 incher besides more light spilling out the sides.

I have one on my tank (the older version) and I think I would have been better doing a retrofit with the ah supply lights. I didn't know this when I bought it, but bulb spacing, especially with cf's reduce the light output by maybe 30-40% (major guesstimate inside my head) due to restrike of the bulbs. I have 130 watts over my 29 gallon, and soon I will replace it with an led fixture (if I eventually finally finish the fixture for my 10 gallon). I thought I was getting more light, but one bulb with a good reflector will be much better than two bulbs with inadequate reflectors and really cramped bulbs. If you do decide to go the odyssea route, definitely go the t5ho route. I think 4 bulb fixtures (I think 96 or so watts for 24" and 130 or something for 30") go for $60-90

Also, most 20L and 29 gallon tanks use 24" fixtures and 21" bulbs, although I'm not sure if there are any cons to having a 30 incher besides more light spilling out the sides.

Thanks for your comments Danny. Aquatraders doesn't make a 30" T5HO. Only 24 and 36. Would there be another brand you would recommend that is reasonably priced?

This unit is reasonably priced but I am afraid it is not enough light for my tank...

Current USA 30" Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture 2x24W 10K/Freshwater

This one is a bit more but under $200...

Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

Thanks!
Pat

OK, let me ask my light question a different way. Would 48w of T5HO light be considered lowlight or higher for my 36G bowfront? (It is about 21" high.)

Then same question for double that (96w).

And one more question - These fixtures have 24" bulbs and my tank is 30" long - any reason to be concerned about that? Will plants not grow as well in the corners? (I am planning to fully plant both corners.)

Thanks!

38w would be low-mid light. 96w would be just on the brink of high-light territory.

I think you should be fine, as light expands and 3" on either side isn't too much.

Back
Top Bottom