Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help with first time planted tank

Hi all,
I have a newly cycled, lightly planted 30g tall tank that I need advice with. First of all there are 3 types of plant in there, all of which are supposedly good for begin aquariums (or so the LFS say). I've identified 2 plants as Vallisneria americana (natans) and Elodea Densa, the latter of which grew very quick so i trimmed it by half and replanted the trimmings, but has since slowed in growth. My tank has been running for for 5 weeks and hasn't had any ferts and the sub is just gravel. My guess is that the plants have used up all the nutrients and so I need to add ferts.

Ok so next i guess i need to identify my third plant type here is a photo of the tank and a closeup of the plant in question.

I'm planning on adding shrimp soon so any ferts suggested would need to be shrimp safe.

Thanks for all advice given
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2606313016.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	29458   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1232664011.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	29459  

Old 02-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Not 100% sure on the plant id... can you get a closer picture of the leaves?

As for ferts... it depends on a few things:

What kind of light do you have over the tank? (watts, type of bulb, color temp, lighting duration/day).

Do you intend to add CO2 injection?

What are your nitrates testing out at, and what is your PWC schedule?

Are you noticing any issues currently with your plants? (dead or dying leaves, spots, algae, slow growth, etc)

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Planted Tank Addict

Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
nice tank...

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous." (1 Cor. 13:4a)
daileene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Crypt, undulata or wendtii is my guess.

PlantGeek.net - Cryptocoryne undulata

Agree with Fort re: need of ferts. If you have a low light tank, fish food is usu. all you need. Plant growth will be slowed, but as long as the plants are healthy, that is not a bad thing. <The E. densa will need daily pruning if you really push the ferts!>

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com