Help with Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1HellerofaGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm having trouble getting nitrate levels down in my aquarium. They are consistent at over 100ppm. My question is such. Will increasing my plants help? Or should I invest in a nitrate reactor?

Increasing your plants and water changes may help.

What type and brand filter do you have? Fluval clearmax (and many other products added to filter) will reduce nitrates.

How often to you do water changes? Water changes should reduce nitrate level, you just have to change enough.

Would not spend $on a reactor.

Last edited:
I have two filters. An internal Aqueon AT40 and I'm also running a Fluval 304 Canister

Put something to suck up nitrates in your canister and water changes till you get nitrates down. Then do weekly water changes to keep it down.

What size tank are those filters on? Also what fish do u have in there and how many?

55 gallon. I have three mollies. 8 Cory cats. Three ram Cichlids. 2 harlequin rasboras. 3 platys. 3 mystery snails. 1 very small pleco. And 1 young Angel

55 gallon. I have three mollies. 8 Cory cats. Three ram Cichlids. 2 harlequin rasboras. 3 platys. 3 mystery snails. 1 very small pleco. And 1 young Angel

Mm you turn over should be fine and your stockings low. How much water are u changing weekly? Also are u making sure you trim all decaying leaves etc?

Whats the nitrates of the water you use from the faucet or where ever you get it. ???

I don't think a nitrate reactor is necessary there is a reason for the high nitrates, we need ot locate it.

If your tap water is low in nitrates then something is rotting in the tank and/or your gravel is mighty dirty to have nitrates that high.

You need to do 50% water changes.. I would do 2 50% water changes this week. One right away and another in 3 to 4 days..

you have 2 filters I would scrub them each. Do one with the 1st water change the next when you do the 2nd. Clean the medium in each filter, and or replace it it is looking rough and unclean-able. Just do not do both filters at the same time. lots of beneficial bacteria there and you wouldn't want to reset your tank by doing an overzealous cleaning of your filter medium

You have some cory cats but I would look into another bottom dweller scavenger to work your tank

Back
Top Bottom