Help with Nutrafin CO2 canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eparadis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,
I just found this board and already have had questions answered without having to ask them. But I have one that I have not found an answer to yet.

I am having trouble with my Nutrafin CO2 canister. It is a small canister that hangs off the top of my 55gal tank. It just doesnt seem to bubble much. I am using their "Activator" and "Stabilizer" and wonder if their yeast is just dead. I just uncapped it though and found activity, but no bubbles. Is it possible to have the lid too tight? Anyone use this brand and product? My tank is central in the room it is in and I did not want a big Coke bottle sitting around for my 2 year old to play with or on and I thought this was a handy and neat package.

8O

Hey! I'm from across the bay!

I'm using the same co2 contraption. I've been seeing max 2 bubbles in the diffuser at one time. I'm not certain....but wouldn't opening the canister release the pressure that built up in there?

Hey eparadis,

I am using two of the same units on my 40 gallon tank. When I first mix everything together, my first bubbles start to appear within about 3 hours or so. However, they really don't get going until 24-48 hours. If after two days you still don't see anything, your yeast may be bad. You can easily buy some bakers yeast and use that. I don't know the ingredients off the top of my head for a DIY Co2 unit, but I am sure someone who does will chime in.

Opening the canister will release the pressure inside, but if it is working properly, it will build up again within 10-15 minutes or so. I have opened it up, moved it around, etc... and it always starts back up again.

I used the same unit on my 10 gallon, I didn't get decent frequency of bubbles till 48 hours later... also make sure you rerally tighten the lid.. thats usually an issue. Also did you semi mix the ingredients?? I didn't the first time.. and nothing happen, but my fiance stuck a huge spoon when I took out the next batch and stuck it in, and swiveled it gently... and it worked! As you can tell she's the brains of the outfit :wink:

Thanks all! I am guessing that my yeast is dead. I love how they call it "Activator" and the baking soda "Stabilizer". Marketing people are funny. So this afternoon, after a trip to the grocery will result in a new batch of yeast and sugar with some "Stabilizer". I will also try the spoon plan, makes sense. 0X

So my CO2 seems to be working now. I blew off the "Activator" and "Stabilizer" and bought some Fleischman's Quick Rise. Added the sugar and a pinch of baking soda and stirred it up a bit after adding warm water. Blammo, bubbles are happening.

Where do people put their diffusers in the tank? Mine is under the filter exit, about 2 inches from where the water re-enters the tank.

Thanks for the tips and help. Great board! :mrgreen:

I put the same thing under the same place and thus far all is good in my 10 gallon tank. How fast did the bubbles come after putting in the new ingredients?

I got bubbles within the hour. They were eventually coming around every three or four seconds. I think it is dead now though. How long should these things last :?:

"Quick Rise" yeast will not last as long as regular yeast. The entire point of quick rise is to accelerate the process. Switch to normal yeast.

Tip: Once you open the yeast, store it in the fridge, or your shelf life is greatly reduced.

Cool thanks much. The quick rise yeast started fast. Got lotsa bubbles within an hour. It seemed to die yesterday, but this morning and even now it is popping out bubbles every 30 seconds or so.

I stole the yeast from my wife's baking stash. Don't tell her. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom