Help with plants for medium-low light, in blackwater..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynae

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon tank, with malaysian driftwood, rocks, and crushed coral + aquarium sand. I have no fake or real plants and am planning on getting some real, easy, and relatively fast growing plants to add to my peaceful stream. The aquarium store closest to me has a huge selection with no labels so I don't know where to start. Any help is appreciated! :n00b:

Joy makes a great point. Like mondo grass... being underwater will murder it in a few weeks. But with low light dont bet on anything fast growing. Java ferns are really great beginner plants in my opinion, they require little light and just a capful of comprehensive liquid ferts are all you need. And its something you can tie to the driftwood you already have. Ive successfully grown them in as low as half a watt/gallon.

low-light and fast growing generally don't go hand-in-hand, but crypts, Vals, hygro and pigmy chain swords are pretty quick growers.

I also had good result with Riccia in my low-light setup, but only as a floating plant.

Just keep in mind that fast growers mean more maintenance and pruning.

I have a 20 gallon tank, with malaysian driftwood, rocks, and crushed coral + aquarium sand. I have no fake or real plants and am planning on getting some real, easy, and relatively fast growing plants to add to my peaceful stream. The aquarium store closest to me has a huge selection with no labels so I don't know where to start. Any help is appreciated! :n00b:

The Aquatic Plant Central web site also has an excellent plant finder at Plant Finder - Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants. You can search for plants based on lighting requirement, type, hardiness, etc. What type of lighting do you have? This will probably be the limiting factor in the plants you can grow successfully.

It is really dependent upon your light more than anything, and I agree, fast growing plants generally require higher light levels, however the definition of fast or slow growing can be very subjective. I don't think either of the plant data base sites mentioned here really talk much about the basics of setting up a plant aquarium. Try the articles HERE

Typically when one talks about low light plants, people think of the "hard to kill" slow growing plants such as Anubias sps, Java fern, Java moss and other mosses, Bolbitis fern, and some Cryptocorynes. These are examples of some of the most resiliant plants.

Most plants dont grow in blackwater due to their being NO light that can penetrate the stained water more then up to 4" at the surface. Plants are a no go for blackwater tanks, however if you do get them for the tank go with the plants that need little to no light. I have a 40g rio negro biotope and thru research on BW plant life is just non existant in the water however the bog plants grow like mad.

Back
Top Bottom