Help with Plants Only Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WackyInsertions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't quite understand how, but I keep accumulating empty 10 gallon aquariums. Well, I happen to have an empty one now, and decided I'd realize a small version of my dream in having a plants only tank. I have several tanks with -tons- of plants and have had -amazing- success, but this time the plants will be going solo (no fish, invertebrates, etc). So...

I read the stickied thread, but am still slightly confused. I know there are fancy substrates to use, some for certain cases, but is there any particular kind (or a mixture?) that would work best for virtually any plant? The only thing I can be sure of planting at this point is lucky bamboo (stalks and cuttings). I don't plan on having much water in the tank (3-4 inches above the substrate), so strong-stemmed plants are a must (any suggestions? :p ). I figure I'll have 2 watts per gallon of light (perhaps less, since the bamboo is easliy angered by the light), diy co2 injection, fertilize twice a week, but no mechanical filtration. I might put in some freshwater clams, but that's not particularly likely or evident at this point.

As for feeding the plants, with no animals to produce waste, what should I do? Should I just drop in flakes or shrimp pellets and let them rot? Bear in mind, the tank will (eventually) be HEAVILY planted.

Also, I've read about layered substrates, using dirt or sand at the bottom, then laterite, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

This is more of a vivarium, and I would approach it as such, it will give you more flexability and variety of plants. My advice is to determine what kind of plants you want, and then design the system around it.

No need to inject CO2 as it sounds like your plants will be exposed to the air. As other people have stated you really are not planning a planted tank but more of a vivarium.

Back
Top Bottom