Help with Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my new 37g, I have live plants for the first time. My favorite is the pennywort, one branch in particular has 5 new leaves in three weeks, I have it floating. I have a java fern on a rock, it is now attached and has 2 or so of those little runner plants... My two little crypts each have a new leaf, and are looking happy, they didn't even melt. And my vals started melting- theres holes through the leaves- but are back on their feet. Half of My baby tears died, but some are still doing good, I'm hoping they hold on. But I think I got a bit of duckweed and pest snails. So far the supposed duckweed has stayed along the edge, slowly but surely multiplying. Should I try and take it out? Will it choke out the pennywort or block light? And the snails.... Snail traps havent worked, i threw out an egg sac I saw and the lettuce in jar traps got rid of 3 snails.... Out of 25 or so. They arent MTS, Im not quite sure other than they stay small and I dont like them. Any tips? I wont kill my plants and I have some fish in there to think about, so no salt or coppertone.

Assassin snails... Ill check with the lfs, maybe Ill order some with my hatchetfish. How many? Is 3 good? Will they reproduce quickly? Also, opinions on if duckweed is Good or bad? I have heard some people say they hate it, but one youtuber (i forgot who) had duckweed in all his planted tanks on purpose.

Assassin snails reproduce fairly slowly compared to pest snails such as pond snails or ramshorn. Maybe start with 5 or 6. If they arent keeping on top of it then get more. They get bigger so once your pest snails are gone you could maybe fish the assassins out and maybe sell them back to your lfs. I have no experience with duckweed

Im thinking of keeping my 10 gallon running and stocking it with rcs and neon tetras, I could just move any extra assassins over there. The duckweed... Im actually gonna try and move that to my ten gallon, see if I can get SOMETHING to grow in that desolate wasteland.

Well in my 37 the plants are doing pretty good, especially with no co2, some in gravel(i have plant substrate) ferts, and moderate lighting, but the 10 has big gravel and low lighting. It has some salt from when I treated ich, and since then nothing grows. If I recall correctly I had anacharis, red ludwigia, and possibly pennywort, all anchored. The ludwigia lasted a really long time actually. I almost got some for the tank I have now but I'm low on funds. After my 37 is fully stocked, I'll try for shrimp and tetras or maybe endlers livebearers in the 10 with some pennywort and baby tears.

Back
Top Bottom