Help with Soil/Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Iv been out of the planted tank hobby for a few years and am wondering what the best substrate/soil I can use for my planted tank. I see so many different things now it used to be the best thing was just using seachem flourite.

Tank is a 24x24x20 cube. going high tech heavly planted. Going to do a carpet so I want to make sure its really good substrate.

ADA Amazonia is really the best on the market from what I've read. I see lots of nano tanks with it. About all planted substrates cost a pretty penny these days.

With a little help from root tabs I've seen ordinary sand make nice carpets though.

Caleb

ADA Amazonia is really the best on the market from what I've read. I see lots of nano tanks with it. About all planted substrates cost a pretty penny these days.

With a little help from root tabs I've seen ordinary sand make nice carpets though.

Caleb

47$ for 16lbs....I dont think thats going to work out haha. I wanted to have a pretty deep substrate to give some different heights in the aquascape so I think ill keep looking for something more in the 1$ a pound range.

47$ for 16lbs....I dont think thats going to work out haha. I wanted to have a pretty deep substrate to give some different heights in the aquascape so I think ill keep looking for something more in the 1$ a pound range.

Look at EcoComplete then. Much closer to your desired cost.

Caleb

I use Eco complete with excellent results.
I also like it for its natural look and varying particle sizes. It's not too abrasive on cory barbels and the MTS bury themselves very deeply in it, turning it over. It does require root tabs after a while, especially near the heavy root feeders but sand would require more. Any waste product is churned into the gravel and utilised by the plants or in being turned over by the MTS and shrimp is made water born so trapped by the filter. I never vacuum my gravel, that may be a sin, but it works for me.
If it's a choice of sand, gravel or a product such as Eco complete then in my eyes there's no contest.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

I think you will still need to use root tabs if you notice that root feeders like crypts start to take a turn for the worse but eco worked pretty well for me before.

Back
Top Bottom