Help with test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I tested my tank last night after I found one of my mystery snails dead.

Ammonia 1.0
Ph 6.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10.0
Kh 53.7
Phosphate 10.0

I did a 50% pwc last night and tested again this morning.

Ammonia .25
Ph 7.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10.0
Kh 53.7
Phosphate 10.0

I know the ammonia reading is because I have my tank a little crowded right now. But not sure about the nitrate and phosphate tests. Don't know if that's considered high or not for a planted tank.

Who made your phosphate test? API? Either way I'm not particularly worried about it, but some of the kits out there are kinda crappy.

How are you measuring KH accurate to a tenth?

How long has the tank been set up? Was the snail new?

The pH is the only thing I see that warrants commenting. Low pH with snails can cause shell erosion in some circumstances, but it was corrected with the WC. I would keep an eye on that to see if that's going to be a problem in the future.

Who made your phosphate test? API? Either way I'm not particularly worried about it, but some of the kits out there are kinda crappy.

How are you measuring KH accurate to a tenth?

How long has the tank been set up? Was the snail new?

The pH is the only thing I see that warrants commenting. Low pH with snails can cause shell erosion in some circumstances, but it was corrected with the WC. I would keep an eye on that to see if that's going to be a problem in the future.

It came out of a API master test kit for reef tanks. All of my test solutions come from a API master test kit.

If I am measuring the KH correctly I add 1 drop to the vial to get a blue color then after that I add 1 drop at a time until I get a bright yellow and I have added two more drops after the initial one for a total of three drops. Then I look at a chart to give me the reading that corresponds to the number of drops. My only concern here is that I am not sure I understand what they mean by bright yellow. I get a yellow color but whether or not its the bright yellow they are talking about. Not sure.

The tank has been established for about 5 months maybe 6. The snail was in there for about 3 months. I have other mystery snails that I bought at the sane time and they are fine.

As far as the Ph goes I have 1 moss ball in there. I know they are used to soften water. Do you think that could be affecting the ph?

It came out of a API master test kit for reef tanks. All of my test solutions come from a API master test kit.

I don't like the API Phosphate test kit. Honestly, I think it's crap. It also probably isn't something that you need to worry about in your tank.

If I am measuring the KH correctly I add 1 drop to the vial to get a blue color then after that I add 1 drop at a time until I get a bright yellow and I have added two more drops after the initial one for a total of three drops. Then I look at a chart to give me the reading that corresponds to the number of drops. My only concern here is that I am not sure I understand what they mean by bright yellow. I get a yellow color but whether or not its the bright yellow they are talking about. Not sure.

When I use the KH/GH test kits, I don't necessarily look for "bright yellow", but rather "not blue". That's my endpoint. You're probably best off reporting that in degrees KH (dKH) rather than in ppm, as the ppm measurements can get a bit weird.

The tank has been established for about 5 months maybe 6. The snail was in there for about 3 months. I have other mystery snails that I bought at the sane time and they are fine.

He probably just died. It's unfortunate, but it happens sometimes. If you lose another another one, I would become more concerned.

As far as the Ph goes I have 1 moss ball in there. I know they are used to soften water. Do you think that could be affecting the ph?

A single moss ball is not going to have an impact really at all. If you're overstocked, that could do it though.

Did you recently add more fish? A tank that's been established for 6 months shouldn't have any ammonia readings.

I don't like the API Phosphate test kit. Honestly, I think it's crap. It also probably isn't something that you need to worry about in your tank.

When I use the KH/GH test kits, I don't necessarily look for "bright yellow", but rather "not blue". That's my endpoint. You're probably best off reporting that in degrees KH (dKH) rather than in ppm, as the ppm measurements can get a bit weird.

He probably just died. It's unfortunate, but it happens sometimes. If you lose another another one, I would become more concerned.

A single moss ball is not going to have an impact really at all. If you're overstocked, that could do it though.

Did you recently add more fish? A tank that's been established for 6 months shouldn't have any ammonia readings.

Yes I have a bunch of young angels that I added over the last couple of months. I want to wait until they are old enough to pair off and then I will re-home some of them.

Back
Top Bottom