Hi-tech planted Conversion - UPDATES - Feb.28.2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Big thanks to everyone on this board who has helped me with various questions in renovating my 72g aquarium... During a long plane ride today I decided to write up this summary and post up some photos to share a little bit of my experience over the last 6 weeks going hi-tech planted.

Introduction: I have been doing aquariums for about 18 years now (since I was 12). I have had more tanks that I can count, and believe that I have owned nearly every freshwater aquatic creature available on the market, with exception of discus. My tanks have ranged in size from 1g to 80g, including planted, terrarium and other setups. 7 years ago I got married and reduced my tank hobby down to one 72g bow front tank.

For the past year my 72g has suffered from severe neglect. I guess you could say that I was it bit burned out with the Aquarium hobby. Scrubbing the glass, taking out the plants that I bought 4 weeks ago because they had died and dealing with BBA. I basically got to the point where I was either going to do away with the tank, or make some big changes.

DSC03191.JPG

I stumbled on RateMyFishTank.com last summer and saw some incredible freshwater planted tanks and decided that this would be my new mission. I have always wanted to do a Reef tank (next project) but decided that setting up and maintaining a hi-tech freshwater planted tank like I have seen on the internet can be just as cool, and would be a great half-step towards an eventual reef setup. I have never really paid much attention to details in a tank (water quality, ferts, filtration, etc). I have spent $1,000’s on plants over my lifetime, but never had much success with them.

So I decided that I had a lot of learning to do. Feedback from everyone on this board has been central to helping me figure everything out.

Lighting: First order of business was to get better lighting. I have known for a long time that I would need to upgrade my 80 watt NO hood. Just the same, this may have been the most complicated part, next to dosing fertilizers.

I had my eyes on a Coralife PC 265 watt hood for a while, but was hesitant to outlay the cash, when I could not see or touch it. That, and I didn’t like the gold-color and thought that for the $$$ I should be able to find something in black. It was very frustrating that none of my LFS had hoods of the type I would need. I found a couple of local high-end saltwater stores that had interesting hoods (mostly ceiling mounts), but $$$ was extreme and the setups seemed like serious overkill. I also looked at DIY setups, but because that would require a $400 canopy to meet my aesthetic requirements I opted for a hood.

I eventually stumbled on Odyssea hoods sold by AquaTraders and found a black, 48” hood with 4 HO T-5’s, mounting legs and moonlights for around $100 shipped. Though I would not recommend this hood or brand to anyone (see my review in the product review area), it did get me the light that I needed at an incredible price.

Pressurized CO2: The next thing I had to figure out was CO2. I have seen the CO2 DIY done with some limited success in my mother’s low-light tank, but was convinced that I would be going pressurized. It took a few days to sort out what I would need and I settled on a Milwaukee Regulator w/Solenoid and Bubble counter, a Milwaukee pH meter SMS122 and the AquaMedics Reactor 1000 CO2 reactor. I found a local beer brewery supplies store and picked up a 5lb bottle for around $80.

I was really nervous with a high-pressure CO2 tank under the aquarium, but once it was all setup, I must say it was pretty anti-climatic. I don’t know what I was expecting, but $$$ issues aside, it is fairly simple.

Filtration: In order to reduce clutter and accommodate a new inline heater that I purchased, I decided that I would need to replace my Emperor Penguin 400 HOB with a canister. After a bunch more research, I decided to go with a Rena XP3. This allowed me to setup my CO2 reactor and inline heater on the outflow of the canister and got rid of the big HOB. A few weeks later I decided that I needed to up my water flow and opted for a second XP3.

Here is my first picture of the tank with one XP3, CO2 injection and inline heater installed. I picked up what I could local to try and make a splash. Ended up buying 2 more non-aquatic plants (can you tell which ones?) before learning that such a thing existed in the hobby (more on that later). Also added a couple of swords and a Java Fern. The Val and the Crypt in the middle I have had for years now.

DSC06062.JPG

Timers and Misc: I picked up a Coralife digital timer to handle most of my day/night cycle. I run my lights 10 hours full force w/ 1 hour in the morning and the evening of half-staff lighting. The moonlights are a very cool addition for after hours, even though they do nothing for tank. I had to add an additional timer to control the second pair of lights since the digital timer only had day and night cycles.

I also decided to purchase a self-adhesive black background for the tank and am very happy with the end result.

Lastly, after noticing that my fish were not always happy in the morning (gasping, etc) I added an air stone that runs at night to get more O2 in the water.

Plants and Fish: Well I emptied out the LFS of any healthy plants that interested me but was not satisfied. So I placed my first order for live plants online with AquariumPlants.com for around $100. I have been very happy with the plants that I received. I have made a few subsequent additions to add better foreground plants and get some fast growers in there to get the O2 up and hopefully start to balance things out.

As for fish, I havea couple more Corys a group of Ottos, SAEs and a bunch of Nerites. I plan on adding more Nerites and some Cherry Shrimp as soon as I find a good home for my Clown Loaches.

DSC06250.JPG

Ferts: Now for arguably the most complex part of this process, understanding ferts. In the past I always bought some liquid fert (never really paid attention to which one) from the LFS and dumped it in with no discipline when the plants I had didn’t look happy. Well, I knew that wasn’t going to fly and decided to purchase dry ferts from Greg Watson to make my own PMDD. A few weeks into things, I caught wind of the Estimative Index (EI) and decided to adopt that philosophy in place of PMDD. I was at first shocked at the amounts I was dosing, but it all makes sense… I am still keeping close tabs with test kits, bit seem to be having much better results.

I also seeded my gravel with Root tabs, figuring that can only help my cause.

Today: This part is better given in pictures. Here is the current setup followed by some pics of the tank.

Here are the two XP3 spraybars w/ Airstone under one of them.

DSC06393.JPG

Here is a top / back view. You can see the 3 wires coming out of the hood (moonlights and 50/50 light control), the two spraybars and returns on the other side.

DSC06395.JPG

I have had a few issues with my hood. It used to make a horrible rattling noise, so I unplugged the fans inside it. With it resting on my glass tops the heat shattered one side… Then I put the light on its feet above the tank about 4-inches for awhile. I have now replaced the glass tops and moved the light closer to the water (trying to get more light to my foreground). I cut a couple small pieces of wood to bring it up from the glass a little bit to hopefully avoid another glass issue.

DSC06396.JPG

On the other side of my tank you can see on of the XP3 returns and my pH probe (the yellow thing).

DSC06399.JPG

Finally one last shot from the back / top. Here you can see the XP3 returns from the other side.

DSC06444.JPG

Here is a shot of things under the aquarium. Can you tell which XP3 just got setup (clue: look at the color of the tubing). If you are at all familiar, you should be able to see what I am doing here.

DSC06402.JPG

A close up of the CO2 regulator. You can also see the SMS122 (green thing) behind it, along with the inline heater and digital timer.

DSC06411.JPG

I bigger picture of the CO2 reactor and pH meter.

DSC06433.JPG

DSC06434.JPG

As I mentioned, ½ of my lights are operated by a second timer. I also have my solenoid and one of my pumps plugged in here.

DSC06435.JPG

Now some pics of the current plants:

A group of Olive Nerites up in the corner (probably trying to avoid my clowns). There are quite a few plants in there now. In fact without removing something (rocks, driftwood or other plants) I don’t think I could get many more in there. My camera is really no good at trying to take these pics of the tank for whatever reason… They don’t do it justice.

DSC06476.JPG

You may notice the tank is “false pearling”. Just changed did a PWC before the shot. I have seen a couple of plants pearl otherwise, but am still working towards regular pearling...

DSC06469.JPG

DSC06487.JPG

Hard to see the Pearlweed and E. Triandra that I am trying to grow upfront. There is still some Glosso in there too, but not that much of it.

DSC06471.JPG

Lessons learned: The biggest lesson I learned was about non-aquatic plants. Once I realized that the LFS and even some online vendors will sell you non-aquatic plants that can only rot in your aquarium, I found the source of much of my frustration with plants in the past.

The other big one was figuring out dosing for fertilizers. Tom Barr’s Estimative Index is required reading. There are so many different opinions about how much of what is good in a tank, that ultimately I have learned to only use others’ experience as rough guides, try myself, observe and adjust.

For lighting I would recommend either DIY ,if you have a good canopy, or a nice Coralife or equivalent hood. Don’t buy something that seems too cheap to be true. I use HO T-5’s and think they are great, but if I was starting over I would probably just go with PC.

Moving forward: I am happy to report that my tank is doing better and better. Most all of my plants are well, and algae is more or less held at bay. I am currently looking for a new home for my Clowns and Rainbow shark and will then be moving my Cherry shrimp into the tank as well. I can now sit and watch my tank for long periods of time. There always seems like there is something going on. I am sure I am going to have a few more hard-knock experiences as everything stabilizes, but am very happy with where I have gotten to date. Thank you to everyone for your help and advice.

I am in NYC this week on business and have trusted the tank to my wife (reluctantly)... Hopefully I will return home Thursday to a happy tank...

~

Very cool thread, I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Your tank looks great now and is only going to get better. Congratulations, you've done a great job. I look forward to future updates :)

I also really enjoyed reading this and also enjoyed the pictures. Nice going on the tank looks GREAT.
you may want and try to adjust your exposure on the camera when you take the pics, it has work wonders for my pics. IE under expose the pic and then brighten it up if you have to with the computer.

Nice tank turnaround.

I'd agree with lowering the exposure. I put my camera to as low as it will go for my pics. You can also try pics with half of your lights off. Makes a world of change on my tank (I have the coralife 260wt and a odyssea 130wt). Try macro or super macro mode (if you have those options on your camera) for the really close pics.

Ya, a better camera is also on my list... These were taken with a Sony P-10 Point-and-shoot, and I tried every different mode, with little success. Seems like using the flash balanced out the colors best, but I didn't like the final result. Turning the tank lights down never occurred to me and is something that I will try next. I will also play around with under exposure and see if I can get Picasa (<-- my new favorite photo program) or Photoshop to bring those around.

Thanks for the tips

Great thread! Looks excellent.

I would also recommend doing a manual focus with your camera. Most digital cameras have a tough time judging distance for the pictures due to bubbles, current, fish/plant movement, etc. This is doubly pronounced due to your bowfront tank shape.

I'm surprised as well that your nerites have not become snacks for your loaches. Are they too big? They are surely helping to keep your algae at bay if your EI dosing is not yet perfect. Wish I could find some in my area.

The loaches have just now started to take an interest in the Nerites, and I have found a few of empty shells, which is expediting my need to find them a new home... They were living together fine for a few weeks there.

Once I get them out, I will probably add another 50-100 nerites. They are mostly full grown, which I think makes it a bit more of a challenge for the clowns...

Man I wish I could get 20 or so nerites for my tank. No place around here carries them, and I just can't stomach the shipping costs from the online sites!

What a great post. Thank you. It was very interesting and pictures were excellent. Oh and you have yourself a great tank there.

A couple more comments: the first picture is actually of a happier time when my low-tech was doing ok. When it bottomed out my val was dying and it was really a mess. Nothing that would have inspired a photo.

On the subject of Nerites... and for that matter SAEs, usable lighting, filters, ferts and everything else that is hard to find locally... What is up with the local freshwater fish stores? Are there really that many people who like goldfish and plastic plants, shiny red gravel and ceramic castles in their tanks (sorry if any of you have these things)? lol... I think a lot of people must be turned off, like I was, for lack of even seeing a good example of a real planted aquarium, let alone being able to find the relevant products to reproduce it themselves.

I am lucky enough to have found one LFS in all of the Phoenix and its surrounding cities that does carry only true aquatic plants and has a good stock of SAE, Nerites and misc shrimp. Also happens to be in a very poor area of town, owned by a lady that has been doing it for over 50 years out of that location. The only "real-deal" LFS I have found to date. Is there really just no money to be made in supporting high-end freshwater in local markets, or is this just an under-serviced and under appreciated space that someone could make good money catering to? -- I would like to think that later, but I am not sure.

Every now and then I think, man I should start seriously breeding this stuff and getting it out there... Then I remember my day job and the fact that I don't really have enough room in the house for the extra equipment... (sigh) alas...

I think #2 is wishful thinking. The large retailers get the majority of the business and its only going to get worse in the future. These corporations are putting the small mom and pop shops out of business every day, and we are losing a lot of salespeople that ACTUALLY KNOW what they are talking about. I'm fortunate to have a small hardware M&P and a small LFS that I try to buy from whenever I can.

Also realize that a lot of people in the fish hobby purchase for other people. These are given as gifts for for esthetic reasons, and less maintainence required the better (thats why you get the colored gravel, the plastic plants, and the goldfish). These require almost no work, and the goldfish will survive in truly horrid conditions. I think every LFS should have a display tank showing exactly what CAN be done if someone really wants a spectacular tank, but honestly I don't think a lot of these stores could actually keep a healthy planted tank.

Nothing like an algae swamp to turn off your prospective customers!

If you have been to a salt/reef LFS, that is more what I wish existed for the freshwater hobby. In my quest, I actually also found a LFS that does salt and high-end freshwater with 2 gorgeous freshwater display tanks (CO2 injection, heavily planted, SAEs, Nerites, Cherry Shrimp, etc), but they were very expensive and Freshwater was more of an after-thought for them. Most of what was in the display tanks was not available for purchase.

Though I haven't done a saltwater tank yet, I cannot believe that keeping a hi-tech freshwater tank can be as complicated as some of the hi-tech reef setups I have seen, with tide simulators, moving MH lighting, fuges, calcium reactors, protein skimmers, etc.

I have noticed that even Petco does saltwater now to a limited extent, but have not seen Petsmart go that way. Seems to be more locally owned saltwater stores than freshwater - perhaps much higher margins? Is freshwater doomed to be the bargain hunters answer to saltwater? I personally would pay more for the fish, plants and inverts if I could get them locally from a good source. Petsmart and Petco have the upper hand, in that they make their money on dog/cat food, not fish. That and the economies of scale they experience as a large collection of stores. That being the case, they don't need to make any kind of real profit with fish and can offer really low prices (for really low quality in my experience).

Well, I'll get off my soap box for now, but it seems to me that freshwater has been undersold in most respects, at least in my local area. I am in NYC this week and am going to try and stop in on a couple of LFS out here to get a feel for the scene out here.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.

I also wish I had more locally. I was recently shocked when one of the owners of a decent sized mom and pop shop was asking me where to purchase a CO2 setup for his display tank.

He is starting to go planted, which is really looking nice. started with only having one tank with annaciris and now he has 10 tanks with plants in them. He also has reef tanks and so on, but is really pushing the planted tanks now.

I am going to stop by there agian today and drop the AA address that I should have given him along time ago.

dapellegrini, don't get off the soap box! It all comes down to money. People think that by saving a couple of bucks at petsmart they are doing themselves a favor, but inreality they are hurting those of use who prefer quality over price.

Great tank. I wish you would post more often :) :)

Thanks czcz...

Just got back home this afternoon and decided in a flurry that it was time for the clowns and the rainbow shark to go... I am happy to say that I was able to get them out of the tank without much difficulty (relatively speaking)... They certainly didn't go willingly, but I didn't have to move much and didn't uproot any plants...

So I brought them all the way out to my Nerite outpost -- the LFS that has my nerites. They seemed like the most capable hands to leave them in. I would have paid them to take the fish, but instead they gave me a $75 store credit! So I got a couple more SAEs, Otto's, a Farwella, some more Nerites, some MTS and a couple of Algae Balls...

Here are the latest after leaving things with my wife for 5 days:

Some of the new snails and one of the algae balls:
DSC06504.JPG

A blurry photo of the farlowella:
DSC06505.JPG

You can see some of the plants have grown quite noticeably in the last 5 days:
DSC06507.JPG

DSC06508.JPG

DSC06513.JPG

The nerites are .99 each, but if you buy 20 or more they are around .70 each... Really good deal. The MTS are 10 for $1... Full grown, fat and happy...

//EDIT//

just checked the receipt: The Nerites are $12.99 for 20, so .65 a piece....

Just received my prefilters - hurray!

Now with the big fish gone and the prefilters installed - in go the Cherry Shrimp... I am moving them over as I catch them (but leaving the pregnant ones for now in the small tank). I also have some CRS, Bumblebee and Red Nose Shrimp arriving on Monday...

DSC06515.JPG

DSC06518.JPG

Back
Top Bottom