Hi-tech planted tank newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ezzakins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm hoping you lovely experts can help me (I apologise in advance for what I know will be a long post!).

In a few months time (or whenever I'm fully comfortable with my knowledge no matter how long it takes) I'm looking to attempt my first hi-tech planted aquarium. I have had my 70l tropical tank for a number of years now and am looking to upgrade to a Juwel Trigon 190l. I have zero experience with planted tanks and have always just had fake decor. After starting my research into planted tanks I thought "sod it"... I know I want to dabble with hi-tech and will only keep wishing I did if I didn't.

My problem is, despite reading various websites and forums over the last few weeks, I still feel I'm only just touching the tip of the subject... I know there is loads to learn, but finding one place with it all is proving quite difficult! And unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally to learn from.

Despite having some basic knowledge from what I've read, I would like to start as if I'm a complete newbie. My question is, does anyone know of any good books or other sources of research for hi-tech planted tanks; for setting it up, and maintaining it afterwards, dosing etc (especially when it comes to C02, the equipment, readings etc)

Also, I'm kinda toying with the idea of paying someone to set everything up and learning from them first hand with their experience and maintenance until I'm comfortable I can do everything myself...does anyone know any companies (or people for that matter) that offer this kind of service in Birmingham/West Midlands area and maybe some rough estimate on price?

Any advice really would be fantastic as I want to be totally clued up before I even think about attempting this

Cheers :)

Love high tech tanks!

Have you been around the fish shops asking on CO2 kits? I found a good shop which sold a complete kit (bottle, solenoid/regulator, one-way valve, co2 line and diffuser). Then I've expanded from there but had the original gear to go back to if it didn't work.

Setting up CO2 is I think the hardest. Make sure you get a one-way valve to stop water back-flowing into the CO2 bottle. The lfs had a horror story on this at a local society presentation.

I believe a solenoid is common so you can use a timer to start injecting co2 just before your lights come on and turn off just before lights go off.

A ph controller on the CO2 injection is useful as injecting CO2 reduces ph and you can set it to cut CO2 off when ph gets too low (thereby not gassing your fish). However it is an extra expense and seems to be more common to have in Australia not US.

A drop checker is useful (even with a ph controller and allowing for it being a delayed reading).

A kh test kit I also think useful even though kh/ph/co2 charts are not totally accurate. (I'm probably a bit gadget mad and like a few different ways of measuring / controlling CO2).

Imo liquid carbon (glut) doesn't compare to CO2 injection. Now converted I'm sticking with CO2 until I get sick of planted tanks.

Last edited:
I'm due to go to my local aquatics this Saturday to see if i can get some advice there too... I found a decent place to online to buy the C02 equipment... I just need to learn more about it and how it all works... There's so much conflicting information for a newbie so it madness the whole thing slightly intimidating... But I'm determined to get my dream tank :)

The kit I might buy when the time comes is below... But I've got a lot of learning to do before I start splashing what I know will be a lot of cash lol

Advanced Aquarium CO2 System with Adapter for Planted Tank 80L - 500L | CO2 Supermarket

Hi,

I'm hoping you lovely experts can help me (I apologise in advance for what I know will be a long post!).

In a few months time (or whenever I'm fully comfortable with my knowledge no matter how long it takes) I'm looking to attempt my first hi-tech planted aquarium. I have had my 70l tropical tank for a number of years now and am looking to upgrade to a Juwel Trigon 190l. I have zero experience with planted tanks and have always just had fake decor. After starting my research into planted tanks I thought "sod it"... I know I want to dabble with hi-tech and will only keep wishing I did if I didn't.

My problem is, despite reading various websites and forums over the last few weeks, I still feel I'm only just touching the tip of the subject... I know there is loads to learn, but finding one place with it all is proving quite difficult! And unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally to learn from.

Despite having some basic knowledge from what I've read, I would like to start as if I'm a complete newbie. My question is, does anyone know of any good books or other sources of research for hi-tech planted tanks; for setting it up, and maintaining it afterwards, dosing etc (especially when it comes to C02, the equipment, readings etc)

Also, I'm kinda toying with the idea of paying someone to set everything up and learning from them first hand with their experience and maintenance until I'm comfortable I can do everything myself...does anyone know any companies (or people for that matter) that offer this kind of service in Birmingham/West Midlands area and maybe some rough estimate on price?

Any advice really would be fantastic as I want to be totally clued up before I even think about attempting this

Cheers :)

Hi ezzakins

You can learn everything you need to know about high tech right here. Although it seems difficult it really isn't that bad. I had the same reservations about setting the system up too and tried in vain to make a low tech tank work for me but had nothing but problems although I have learned the error of my ways.

Co2 cylinders contain highly compressed carbon dioxide which can reach pressures that are too great to work with. The regulator screws on top of the cylinder of your choice and regulates the pressure from a high pressure to a lower safer working pressure. Ordinarily a regulator will have one or two gauges, a working pressure gauge and a contents gauge. You can also get single or dual stage regulators the latter being a superior in pressure control and regulation but is not necessary for our application.

When you buy a regulator it will have an output nozzle and a control or 'needle' valve which increases and decreases the amount of regulated gas that will exit through the output nozzle. Because we like to switch our regulators off at night you will also have a solenoid valve attached to the regulator that will plug in to the mains. You can plug this in to a timer. It's a simple on/off valve that will shut off the gas at your specified time.

You then connect co2 safe tubing to the output nozzle with a non return valve inline to stop and gas or liquids going back towards the regulator. A bubble counter will also be online so we can have a rough idea of how many bubbles per second or minute we are delivering. You can buy bubble counters that also act as a non return valve (check valve) lastly the line will enter the aquarium and connect to a diffuser which splits the gas into tiny bubbles which are then circulated around the tank via your filter or pumps.

I use a fire extinguisher for my co2 supply and bought it off amazon for about £35.

I also purchased everything else I need from co2art and with this kit.

http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...products/advance-complete-aquarium-co2-system

There's more but I'll leave you with that for now. Prob cost you about £150 to sort the co2 out. Fire extinguishers can last for months depending on your bubble rate, Lights on time and size of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi. I commend you for going straight to high tech. Starting with pressurized C02, is the way to go. The regulator will come with instructions and there are many videos on youtube that could help you to visualize the basic concepts before you start. The regulator you are looking at looks great.

I'd recommend going with a large C02 tank, they seem to last forever. You can get C02 tanks from local welding or beverage stores and get refills too. My tank is HUGE about 30Lbs (around 13kilos) and is not even half empty after 6months.

Everything you need to know is on the internet. You've come to the right place.
The C02 is WAY easier and less intimidating than you'd ever imagine. Just follow the instructions.

Have you thought about substrates and lights?

Well when I knew what tank I wanted I went on YouTube to see what other people had done with their tanks for ideas... I came across one persons tank who really inspired me and made me realise what kind of tank I wanted. So based on the materials he used I may look to use the same considering the success hes had. He has used :

Light lava rock rubble to raise towards the back of the tank
Covered this in Eco complete & clay gravel
Final layer - Aquarium soil by tropica
Then Hardscape is Red moor and dragon stone

Lights being used would be those that come with the tank (2x 28w T5HO - 1 day light tube and 1 colour tube), then I will look to fit reflectors.

If anyone has anything different to the above to recommend that would be great

I've had some plants recommended, but as I know nothing about plants I need to also look into this... For what are probably silly questions like, how to prepare the plants, how to correctly plant them, how you know they're healthy, where to trim and how often to trim them, and how to correctly feed them. The only reference I have for this to date, is what the man doses his tank with on the video which is :

Day 1 - 20ml Green high fertiliser (complete NPK macro and micro elements)

Day 3 & 5 - Green low fertiliser (potassium and micro elements)

Day 7 - 50% water change (no dosing)

CO2 - 2/3 bps - 7 hours with light on... CO2 starting 2 hours before lights on and switching off 2 hours before lights

I also need to look into checking the hardness of my water as I don't currently test for this... But I know in general the water in my area is quite soft

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom