Hi Tech vs Low Tech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello All.

I'm still battling an algae bloom and I've been doing a lot of research online.

I read an article that said keeping a planted tank algae free is 10 times harder without CO2. I read the sticky post on here about setting up CO2 and it's still intimidating as heck. I've considered it in the past, but as I said, with all of the gauges , bubbles, etc. it looks like I would go brain dead trying to set it up. I also have no clue where to get a CO2 tank filled.

Can I get comments from hi & low tech folks on their tanks please?

Thanks for your response,
D

Hello All.

I'm still battling an algae bloom and I've been doing a lot of research online.

I read an article that said keeping a planted tank algae free is 10 times harder without CO2. I read the sticky post on here about setting up CO2 and it's still intimidating as heck. I've considered it in the past, but as I said, with all of the gauges , bubbles, etc. it looks like I would go brain dead trying to set it up. I also have no clue where to get a CO2 tank filled.

Can I get comments from hi & low tech folks on their tanks please?

Thanks for your response,
D

For as intimidating as it can seem, pressurized CO2 is not difficult to setup and maintain at all! For a basic setup, a 5# gas tank, a regulator with a built in electric solenoid valve, and some silicone tubing with a diffuser at the end is all you need! I have attached some links to the basics. CO2 can benefit lowlight and high light tanks. I will say that plant growth does seem to be notably faster in tanks where I have CO2 running.

CO2 regulator:https://www.amazon.com/Premium-AQUATEK-Regulator-Integrated-Solenoid/dp/B009WTXYN0/ref=asc_df_B009WTXYN0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167149786275&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2670889049554403306&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014448&hvtargid=pla-304425347700&psc=1

5# gas tank: https://www.amazon.com/Tank-Aluminum-Cylinder-CGA320-Valve/dp/B00HQQ3WWE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1OWJOEHQUN0RK&dchild=1&keywords=5+co2+tank+cylinder&qid=1618288103&sprefix=5%23+co2+%2Cpets%2C172&sr=8-3

Diffuser: https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Ceramic-88g-CO2-Diffuser-Ounces/dp/B004GCO35G/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=co2+diffuser&qid=1618288171&sr=8-21

Now, to address your concern about not being able to prevent algae without a CO2 setup, CO2 is not required to prevent algae. In fact, I think low-tech tanks are actually much easier to keep algae free. To make an analogy, when you crash a Ferrari going 150 mph it is a lot worse than crashing a Prius going 45 mph. High-tech tanks may look really nice at times, but sometimes small misjudgments can lead to epic failures. On the other hand low-tech tanks are typically much more forgiving and easier to maintain long term. In my opinion too much light and excess organics in the water are the two things that will cause algae to blow up your tank. Try and keep those in check first. Just throwing CO2 at the problem will not resolve it if you have other issues going on already.

When plants have all the nutrients they are stronger and algae are displaced.
The most important nutrient is carbon. If too little, the algae predominate.
To technology
I stood in the same place. I looked in the shop at the apparatus.
I am not afraid of technology. But I would have needed a device for every tank and I don't want a factory look at home.
So I went a different way. I bought a carbonation machine for soft drinks. Is in the kitchen. In the morning I fill the liter bottles with cold water and press the dispenser 4 times.
Depending on the size of the tank, I admit. 25G 2 bottles.
12G each 1Bottle.
I have 6 tanks. The cartridge lasts 1/4 year. The exchange costs 6 €.
I've been doing this for a few years. I measure all nutrients, including CO2. The plants grow well without algae.

Thanks very much for your responses.

This tank has been established for about 8 years, and this is only the second algae bloom I've ever had. I can't even remember the first one, it was so long ago.

I think the problem developed first when I replaced the lights with a higher intensity LED fixture, then, I overcleaned my filter media. I have a UV filter in place and doing WC every other day, and I've cut back on feeding and amount of time the lights are on. It just seems like it's taking forever to clear. I had to buy a new UV light because the first one wasn't working, but the indicator light was almost non-existent to determine whether or not the light was on, so it took me awhile to figure out it must not have been working.

I think I'll keep the set up that I have since it's been relatively problem free for so long. I really appreciate the input, as it helped me make my decision.

Thanks again,
D

They say green water is a result of ammonia loadings and light. I think this is plausible to some degree but for this to be 100% accurate everyone who has done a fishless cycle will have had a green water bloom and this is of course not true.

I think the answer lies in the processes involved in creating ammonia for example the chemical processes around decaying matter that isn’t being broken down fast enough. This is certainly feasible given the disruption of the biofilter.

In my opinion, algae rages inevitably in the early days, weeks, months of a new tank but after a time of complete stability and maturity, algae disappears and never returns. Disturbing this cycle is almost like resetting the system so you get periods where algae will once again proliferate. It is inevitable that the tank will stabilise, and will once again become impervious to algae blooms. The disappointing thing is that we will probably never truly know why.

Last edited:
Thanks Caliban07. I feel rather foolish over the over cleaning of the media. I should have known better.

As far as the lights go, I had had the same fixture since I first bought and set up the tank, and it was my first venture into a large, and planted aquarium. My previous experience consisted of a 5 gal Fluval that I had for several years. I should have known better, but the thought never occurred to me that the lighting would cause an algae bloom. That's actually what started it and I exacerbated the problem by overcleaning.

I had just been happily ignorant of the problems that most aquarists battle on a regular basis. Some lessons have been learned.

Thank goodness I have AA as a resource for help.
D

Dreamroper, I have a low tech tank and haven't experienced any algae problems, so here's a vote for low tech working. Are you in a position to introduce a clean-up crew such as nerite snails? They keep the situation pristine for me, they never stop patrolling.

Arthur75, that is a genius idea.

Dreamroper, I have a low tech tank and haven't experienced any algae problems, so here's a vote for low tech working. Are you in a position to introduce a clean-up crew such as nerite snails? They keep the situation pristine for me, they never stop patrolling.

Arthur75, that is a genius idea.

I finally have everything under control. I had been battling BBA for quite some time and I have no idea how that got a foothold, and then I also had an algae bloom. The UV filter cleared up the algae bloom and I have been picking out little pieces of substrate that I can see the BBA on as well as getting rid of infected plants, cleaning glass and rocks. Right now, I'm running the UV 24/7, cut feeding by 1/2, and doing water changes every 3rd day. My tank looks spotless and water crystal clear. What a battle though!! Keeping it low-tech since I went years without having an algae problem at all. I have no clue what knocked the balance out of whack.

Last edited:
I'm running 2 low tech tanks and 2 high tech tanks and to be honest once the tanks is 'broken' in algae hasn't been an issue with either tank. I suppose i might just be lucky given the issues i've head from other people or just have decent tap water but I've had the most issue with high-tech tank forming a few areas of bba (nothing that horrible but a concern).
-
I use excel to kill off the bba and it does seem to work if patient. One thing is that it seems a leading cause of algae is too much phosphorous which can occur either do to bad tap water or over feeding. So this is something to keep an eye on.
-
Here are a couple of my tanks (the 40b is high-tech the 29 low tech - the 29 is an old picture and the landscape has improved but the hornworth still makes it a bit messy also i cheat a bit in the 29 since the live feeders love algae....
-
The 29 has been setup for about 2 years (the picture is 7 months old);the 40b has been setup for 11 months and the picture is about 3 weeks old.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 26
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 28
Beautiful tanks! I think I may have started becoming more remiss with my Excel dosing and maybe that's what gave the BBA a foothold.

I've also put a small wave maker in my tank now, and have it down about 1/2 way, pointed upward and a bit toward the front glass. The plant tops barely move, but I can certainly see the gentle circulation in my tank. The fish love it, especially the Rasboras.

Hopefully with everything I have in place now, (I've also started lightly dosing with Thrive), all will remain as it is. I'll try to get a picture and post it.

Thanks!
D

I want to stress i only use excel for short periods - maybe a month at a time because i worry it is bad for the fishes. I do not think i could use it 'full' time on a regular basis. i only does once a week during that month while performing my normal water changes. Last but least i measure out the require dosage and then squirt it directly into problematic areas.
-
This has only been in the 120; i have never used excel in my other tanks including the pictured 40B above.

I want to stress i only use excel for short periods - maybe a month at a time because i worry it is bad for the fishes. I do not think i could use it 'full' time on a regular basis. i only does once a week during that month while performing my normal water changes. Last but least i measure out the require dosage and then squirt it directly into problematic areas.
-
This has only been in the 120; i have never used excel in my other tanks including the pictured 40B above.

I will definitely take this under advisement. Frankly, I hate adding anything at all to the water. Even liquid ferts for my plants I use sparingly. My tank looks great now, so I could certainly par back. I've been using it daily, but I've always under-dosed everything because of what I stated above. 1/2 a capful in a 36 doesn't seem like much, but I think the more natural the better. For any and all animals.

Back
Top Bottom