High Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to lower high nitrates in my 75 gallon. I have been doing frequent small water changes. Filter has been cleaned and some media swapped out.

I was planning on making this a planted tank so it has a Flourite substrate. No plants ended up in the tank because the red eyes eat them all.

I am assuming the Flourite is a nitrate rich substrate for plants so since I have no plants it could be a Spurs of my nitrate problem.

Can anyone confirm this? Don't want to take on a substrate change of I don't have to but....

Thanks!!

See thread "Is my tank ready for fish?" in the Freshwater - Getting Started forum. There is an interesting conversation on using Pothos to reduce nitrates (assuming you don't want to deal with changing substrate). Alternatively, have you tried Java Ferns and Anubias? Most fish leave them alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What size filter are u running? I had a nitrate problem in my 90g and I just loaded my 2 canisters up with seachem matrix and some nitrazorb.
Also make sure u vac under any ornaments that have been sitting for a while. Shouldn't have to throw any media away as that stores the good bacteria.

Make sure u do 50% water changes weekly and dose with prime accordingly.

If your filters big enough and u do 50% weekly u really shouldn't have any problems. Unless your overstocked with fish.

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Nitrates run about 40 ppm.

I'll check that thread out thanks! They have eaten a Java fern. I'll try an anubias. I will change the substrate if it will help. I can use it in another tank but if it doesn't help I don't want to mess with it.

Filter is eheim 2073. Tank is well established 75 gallon. Shouldn't be overstocked. Has 6 rainbows, 7 red eye tetras, 3 cories and a bristle nose pleco.

I did 50% water changes until recently. Didn't bring down the nitrates. I started doing smaller more frequent water changes recently. Tap water is too hot to go directly into tank so refilling is a bit of a pita.

��

Have u tested your tap water for nitrates? 50% changes with 0 nitrate water should bring it down. Have u also cleaned your filter hoses?

How come the tap water is too hot? Can't u adjust it down with abit of cold water? What temp is your tank running at?

Tank is usually 75- 78. Cold water out of tap has been in the 80's usually 83-84. Summer in TX.

The pipes in our new house must not be buried as deep. I do use ice to cool it down. It's just a time consuming process. Filling 3 5 gallon buckets, cooling down, pumping back in. I can't remember ever getting it below 20 ppm but I can see.

Tap nitrates are 0. I have not cleaned my hoses lately. worth a shot.

I may have some filter media to help. I'll double check.

Thanks !

Yea u would be surprised at what hides in those hoses :) oh really? Jee that's warm lol. Yea just keep up the small water changes and clean the hoses. 40 isn't too bad as long as it doesn't creep much higher. I mean ideal is around 20 but in my Oscar tank it normally sits around 30-40 due to the high bio load. He has no signs of illness and has been in the tank for over 2 years now

After I had that brown crud in my tank and I killed it, my canister flow slowed down. I took it apart and everything was covered in decaying snot(sorry but only way to describe it). My hoses were coated with it on the inside. But I got those puppies spotless! Hoses were the worst part. Flow was back to normal after the clean up.

Thanks everyone!!

I did a 50% water change last night with a half a bag of ice too cool it down. Lol.

Tested at 20. I'll get to the hoses. ASAP.

Earlier this week I bought 2 millennial rainbows and lost one don't know if it was the nitrates or not but I'm bummed :/. I appreciate all the feedback.

What do you clean your hoses with? A plumbing took or long brush?

I used a long poly carb rod we had around and wrapped filter floss around the end. Then pushed it thru.

Back
Top Bottom