High-tech nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Glad to get more people doing this!

40-watts IS a lot.

I do not let a day pass without dosing. Just hooked up pressurized CO2 removing the daily Excel dosing from my schedule, which is nice. I am playing around with dosing though, looking to reduce to 2-3 total doses per week (from 6).

Many plants adapt to nano tanks by growing smaller / more compactly. I am still learning and playing around, but I really like the nano for its size.

Funny, I crush every pond snail I find in there... I finally eradicated all of the ramshorn. The idea originally was to have Nerites and MTS only... Pond snails are very hard to get rid of once you have them.

Strangely, I have not seen any type of algae in this tank, ever... (knock on wood)

That tank is very nice. Well done ;-) In some way Nano tanks can be even nicer that larger sized tanks.

Pond snails are very hard to get rid of once you have them.

A Botia sidthemunki would be nicely sized for a tank like that. It would easily eat al of your snails, and be very entertaining.

Interesting you mention the dwarf Botia... I just ordered three for my other tank. I might put one in there for a little while and see what s/he does. I also ordered some Dario Dario and Dwarf Schooling BB Gobies. I am sure they will not all fit in this tank, but it will give me some options.

Problem with snails (and shrimp really) is they end up living and breeding in the filter...

--------------------------------------

In other news - I just got the regulator for the CO2 and plugged it in.

I had to trim out a bunch of the hygro to get this thing positioned right. Even so, you can't really see the little glass diffuser down there.

DSC02797.JPG

I have it under the filter outflow... sending bubbles everywhere... [singing]tiny bubbles...[/singing]

DSC02809.JPG

DSC02801.JPG

Now I can save the rest of my excel for algae spot treatments... And that's the way it should be.

Dario Dario (Scarlet badis) are confirmed Shrimp killers. They like to hunt them, more than eat them. They also do best solo, or in a lot of space per fish.

I like that last picture, again, that sure is a nice tank.

I just wanted to drop this out there in reference to your lighting questions. It is an interesting page that discusses the amount of light Amano uses on his tanks, and how his smallest tanks get about 10 watts per gallon or more, but the larger tanks only get around two. There is a comparative calculator at the bottom showing the ratios for comparison only, with disclaimer stating that this is only for a comparison, etc, etc... Check it out:

http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html

I am running 26 watts over my 2.5 gallon, and am combating algae right now, but I think it had to do with many other factors such as poor placement of my C02 diffuser, and the fact that I had a medium sized dead snail along with a large chunk of "vacation feeder" a friend of mine dropped in without telling me (to feed the dead snail) that probably did wonders for my water parameters...

That is a cool link. I like the calculator at the bottom. It helps illustrate the complexity of lighting in various aquatic setups... I seem to do very good with 26watts on a 3-gallon (Amano average is 38watt) and 324watts on my 72 (amano average 162watt)...

I think it is important to understand the differences in Amano's aquarium maintenance and what most of us do (EI dosing). I am not the best one to elaborate, but the dosing routine and ingredients are not the same, which probably also affects the lighting equations... less water column dosing because of powersand, use of plant hormones and various micro mixes... etc

Dan...........tank looks awesome!

Hey ......can you give me any pointers on growing the Cabomba furcata?
Mine keep dyin......I can get it to start growin but then it fizzles out on me and slowly dies.
I love how it looks when its closed up....it's almost like roses in ya fish tank.

I think my problem may be my hard water but I'm not sure.

Well, I wish I could say mine has been easy, but...

I had it growing quite well in my 72-gallon for a while (very hard water) but then I decided to move it to a different spot and it started to die on me. I moved a couple of stems to the nano (RO/DI water) in hopes that perhaps my Hard Water was complicating things. I have to say it is doing fine in the nano. It is "hanging in there" in the larger tank, that I am now supplementing with 50/50 RO water.

When it was doing well in my larger tank, it had little to no flow where it was, and was left rooted in Eco for about 6 weeks...

DSC01730.JPG

DSC01721.JPG

I read somewhere that this is one of the most difficult plants in the hobby, and I think I agree... Talk about fussy.

ya it is a tough plant to get a grip on......oooooooooooo........nice pearling shot.

Well...I'm not givin up on it yet......its to purrty of a plant.

heh, I didnt say thats all you needed...

but that extra wattage certainly helps :p

Back
Top Bottom