High Tech Planted Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aqua_chem said:
No, but I've learned that direct application of H2O2 hurts it. I think I've got it on the run.

Good to know. While browsing for a resolution to the same problem i came across your thread at TPT about this. Didn't see any updates for a while so i wanted to check.

Mine has started to subside but is being replaced by a green fur looking algae. The closest i could find to that is Oedogonium algae. Something to look out for as well.

Last edited:
I'm going to be completely tearing down my tank this weekend so i'm going to make sure i clean out as much of the algea as i can find. The wierd unknown algea has seemed to disappear for the most part but i am getting quite a bit of hair algea starting to grow.

I finally got the tank moved and the sump up and going. I have to say that so far i really like the setup. The only downside is the evaporation (doesn't help its been 100+ degrees here as well). I'll probably be looking at about 1-2 gallons a day while the temps are high, hopefully less when it finally starts to cool down.

I decided to skip on the CO2 reactor for right now. Currently i have a ceramic diffuser feeding the CO2 right into the return pump so i'm getting a ton of CO2 microbubbles suspended throughout the tank. The plants seem to like it, they start pearling within about 30 min from lights on. I don't know if i will be able to get my PH below 7.0 though, its been a battle to get it that low. I guess the sump system is a series of gives and takes. Time will tell I guess.

I also picked up 4 Amano shrimp today as a trade for some plants to my LFS. Lets hope they live up to the algae loving reputation!

For what it's worth, I've been using a Cerges reactor lately and I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the results.

Here are some pic of my setup.

image-2088370715.jpg

image-3831758563.jpg

image-457866617.jpg

I built my own drip tray instead of buying the $80 wet/dry kit for my sump (the missing hole has since been drilled lol)

image-2189839926.jpg

image-4110409059.jpg

image-1319362274.jpg

the overflow box (CS90 model), i built a new attachment for the sump intake because the one it came with didn't fit my hose. Here is the sump installed and running (Aqueon Proflex model 3)

image-3894383092.jpg

image-746300963.jpg
The CO2 system is now on the side for easy access and the PH controller is attached to the wall behind the bottle. With this setup i can't get my PH below 7.1, all my plants pearl insanely fast though and are already showing signs of great growth so i'm not to worried. As i said earlier, i skpped the reactor and opted to just do the micro bubbles from the reurn pump. So far so good!

image-2453625532.jpg

image-2559320639.jpg
Here is a closer shot of the tank. I find the DW with the Java fern to actually be my favorite part of the tank now. To me the fern growing with the unknown moss (java moss maybe??) growing throughout it as well just looks completely natural.

Overall i can say my water quality is more stable and my water clarity is 100x better than with the canister. I'm completely happy with this move to the sump so far.

Last edited:
So in the off chance that i wanted to change my tank to a low tech tank, removing two of my T5s would be best correct?

I will be building a 40b low tech tank in the next week or so. Should i do 1 or 2 T5HO bulbs?

If you want low light, I would definitely say just one. Better would be two 2xT5NO fixtures about a foot apart, but the single bulb should work fine as well.

aqua_chem said:
If you want low light, I would definitely say just one. Better would be two 2xT5NO fixtures about a foot apart, but the single bulb should work fine as well.

Sounds good. I just don't want to deal with CO2, ferts, all the jazz on this tank. Just nice and easy :)

since i moved and then transferred everything to the new tank my sword has been suffering. The leaves are turning transparent and forming holes, I'm getting a lot of hair algea and BBA on the leaves, and the leaves look twisted (almost like they're trying to spiral).

The plant has gone through quite a few changes: new substrate, lowered light, no CO2, and no ferts. Do you think it's just freaking out and angry about the changes? Am i dealing with deficiencies?

Did you trim the roots before replanting it? I moved a tank with swords a long time ago and found that I needed to trim the roots before replanting. Some of them took the move very well but a couple lost their leaves. I cut every leaf off of maybe four swords and after a few days they started to regrow new ones. Strange thing was the other swords were just fine, even though they had all come from the same original mother plant. I did use root tabs under them after the transfer (actually, I was using Jobes plant sticks back then).

I would recommend cutting all of the dying leaves so the plant doesn't waste energy trying to save them. That alone can cause a plant to weaken to the point of death sometimes. Good luck.

Did you trim the roots before replanting it? I moved a tank with swords a long time ago and found that I needed to trim the roots before replanting. Some of them took the move very well but a couple lost their leaves. I cut every leaf off of maybe four swords and after a few days they started to regrow new ones. Strange thing was the other swords were just fine, even though they had all come from the same original mother plant. I did use root tabs under them after the transfer (actually, I was using Jobes plant sticks back then).

I would recommend cutting all of the dying leaves so the plant doesn't waste energy trying to save them. That alone can cause a plant to weaken to the point of death sometimes. Good luck.

I did trim the roots (i wouldn't have been able to replant it if i hadn't lol)

I'm just thinking that if i trim all the bad leaves i wouldn't be left with much of a plant and wasn't sure how that would go over.

Back
Top Bottom