Higher lighting for 10 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgarMedina1010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently i have 2 - 10 watt PC bulbs and im looking to upgrade my lighting, i know walmart sells some light bulbs, now what should i look for, and what should i stay away from? thanks in advance, oh and i am gonna be running a DIY co2 system. thanks in advance.

There is a brand called Lights of America. They have 15-25w bulbs. They come 2 to a pack and are around $8. They say Daylight on them. Stay away from anything that says "warm" or "soft". You want "daylight".

JustOneMore20 said:
There is a brand called Lights of America. They have 15-25w bulbs. They come 2 to a pack and are around $8. They say Daylight on them. Stay away from anything that says "warm" or "soft". You want "daylight".
Cool, thanks for the info.

I recently modded my incandescent hood. It used to accept two screw in incandescent bulbs of a smaller socket type. I cut those out and wired in standard household light sockets purchased in the wiring section of my local hardware store. They're black rubber, have the black and white pigtail wiring and are meant to be used in outdoor fixtures. With two of those in place, I then got two 11 watts a piece compact fluorescent u-tube lights, meant for energy efficient replacements of standard bulbs.

Most bulbs I found in Walmart and friends were "cool white" (2100K), "soft white" (2700K) or "Daylight" (4700K). From what I've read around here, plants like 6000K and up. I eventually found some of the aforementioned 11w CF bulbs at a local dollar store. The bulbs have a part number and color rating (6500K) marked on the ballast portion of the bulb.

Prior to this I retrofitted my single 24" tube canopy with 8 household sockets and put 8 of these same bulbs in the unit for my 30 gallon planted. If I'd had the room, I'd have put 10 or even 12 in, but physics got in my way. :D

Back
Top Bottom