Hitchiking snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I put plants in my 58 gal tank over a week ago and have been working on the lighting while I TRY to be patient enough before adding fish. Today I saw 6 tiny, tiny blackish brown snails crawling around! I am so happy to have movement in the aquarium, so I hope that these are good guys to have!

Kimberly
58 gal planted, waiting on fish

They do help to clean the tank but before you know it you will have many many snails. I started out with one accidentally and have scooped out well over 60 snails to date and still have to scoop them out. This has been over a period of 3 weeks now. :roll:

I recommend a pre-emptive strike. 6 will quickly become 600. There is a New Zealand mud snail that has been found in densities of 100,000 :invasion: per square meter in U.S. rivers. Most fish don't eat them and they were on your plants because they eat plants. Squish 'em.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
I recommend a pre-emptive strike. 6 will quickly become 600..... and they were on your plants because they eat plants. Squish 'em.

I concur, likely pest pond snails, and shortly your worst nightmare.

I haven't found salt to be effective, but alum will rid your plants of snails and pretty much anything else. I believe it is about 1 tablespoon per gallon for about a half hour, but, that may not be totally accurate. It does work though.

19:1 bleach dip, or a potassium permangenate dip will work too (not sure on the ratio there tho)

I agree, if it's a mystery snail, its a bad snail. I keep clown loaches to elminate snails.

malkore said:
19:1 bleach dip, or a potassium permangenate dip will work too (not sure on the ratio there tho)

I agree, if it's a mystery snail, its a bad snail. I keep clown loaches to elminate snails.

What are the smallest fish that eat snails?

I added a clown loach to eat the snails, even though I "shouldn't" have added fish yet. The snail population seems to be totally gone, but I haven't seen the loach since putting him in. I have tried to feed him now that the snails are all gone, but the food I put in goes untouched and I can't find the guy. I have a lot of rocks as well as the plants, so he has plenty of caves to hide in. Any suggestions short of pulling out all the rocks to find him or entice him to eat? Or should I fear the worst (dead fish)?

Thanks,
Kimberly

Back
Top Bottom