Holes in leaves.....defficiency?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am noticing holes in the leaves of some of my plants. I am seeing it mostly on the Hygro Corymbosa, and a couple of swords. These plants were transfered from a 25 gallon to a 35 gallon 1 week ago, but I have had them all for a couple months, and they are all emersed grown leaves now.
For the most part, the holes are more in the bottom leaves, but some of the holes are on newer upper leaves. They range from pin-size to 1/4 inchish.

Is this a defficiency of some kind, or possibly die off from the move? My crypt and blyxa are melting quite a bit from the move, and I have lost a ton of bacopa leaves, but I expected that.

32 inch tall tank, finnex ray 2 (6 hrs a day), aquatic life T5 HO dual bulbs (2 hrs a day burst). Plenty of flow, pressurized co2, dose PPS pro daily.
Ammo: 0
Trites:0
Trates: between 5-10
PH: 7.2
Phosphates: 0.5 (this is lower than I would like)
KH: 6
GH: 8

I have been struggling with the co2 this week. Drop checker got a little on the yellow side, so I reduced the co2 a bit, but have not been able to get it right yet. One day, the drop checker is more aqua, so I turn it up a bit and then it looks too yellowish. Not really yellow, but I already gassed my fish once in the old tank, I think I am scared to do it again. No signs of algae. Drop checker is always aqua blue by morning. Have seen good pearling when lights are on though..........

Pics to follow asap.

Pics of holes

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130825_222209.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130825_222209.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 154
  • ForumRunner_20130825_222229.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130825_222229.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 128
  • ForumRunner_20130825_222247.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130825_222247.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 163
  • ForumRunner_20130825_222306.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130825_222306.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 134
Looks like potassium to me, but all of the macronutrients can look similar. What/how are you dosing?

On a good note though, the pogostemon helferi I got from Petsmart seems to be doing quite nicely, lol.
Also, full tank shot

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130825_222405.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130825_222405.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 161
  • ForumRunner_20130825_222437.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130825_222437.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 201
I am dosing 2.5 ml daily of the CSM+B and phosphate/sulfate, and 1 ml of nitrates. PPS Pro dry ferts, mixed into 3 bottles, as suggested by Rivercats. Seachem root tabs under the swords and crypt.
The tank is only a week old, but I have a feeling thse holes are not brand new. :(

Definitely increase your dosage. I might even double it until you know you've got this licked, and then dial it back until you find a steady state.

Should I add any extra potassium to this? All I have with extra potassium is API leaf zone, but I dont use it currently.
I will increase the dosage on the ferts begining tomorrow.
I ordered an inline diffuser that should be here this week sometime, so hopefully I can get a better dissolution of co2. Would adding liquid glut in conjunction with pressurized co2 help? From what little I have seen online about leaf holes, increasing co2 is a big suggestion.

Increasing co2 is always a good idea in cases like this, as carbon deficiency can masquerade as pretty much any deficiency, but its hard to prove or to do anything about it in many cases. I'm not sure that adding glut will necessarily help, but you can try tuning up your co2.

A far as dosing goes.... PPS somewhat limits you by using premixed solutions. You could add potassium (in the form of K2SO4) to you solution and try to keep the same dose, but I would recommend increasing everything in proportion, as if you're limiting yourself on potassium, providing more potassium will increase demand for all the other nutrients, and assuming your already dosing below or near necessity, you could just stumble into another deficiency.

Kim try double dosing your phosphate/potassium mix daily and this should also help get your phosphate levels up. You can also give an extra bump of potassium by dry dosing some. I forgot what size your tank is.

My deficiency was potassium. My phosphates were high so stopped dosing not realizing that potassium was included in my phosphate mixture. Anyway I'm double dosing on potassium and everything is going great, my BBA is falling behind as well. But my nitrates and phosphates stay at optimum levels naturally so I don't need to dose them.

Its a 35 gallon tank. I increased dosage to 3.5 ml this morning on CSM & Phosphate bottles. Left Nitrates at 1 ml, as I seem to be sitting about where I want with this dosage (also dosed it lower in the smaller tank).
Janis, should I just mix up a sperate bottle of potassium only? What measurement should I use?

Sure you can, just mix the same amount in a bottle you would for your phosphate/potassium mix with the same amount of RO/Distilled water and you can dose it daily at the same rate of 1ml per 10g water. And still dose your phosphate/potassium mix.

Back
Top Bottom