Holy plants....what wrong with my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

my plant ( sword) seems to have tiny holes in the leaves, what is this from...the newest leaves in the middle are fine but after a couple months they develop holes..i can get pics but how do i post them?

i have the same problem with my amazon sword ... I'm very curious to hear an answer. Mine started out growing VERY well, lots of new bright green leaves ... then I found that someone in my tank likes to eat large holes in the leaves (usually the middle ones). But now, I've noticed that my outside leaves are doing the tiny hole thing and turning brown around the edges.

I've read taht amazon's get their nutrients through their roots and that plant tabs in the substrate around the sword is a good idea, but I haven't tried this yet.

jibboo said:
i have the same problem with my amazon sword ... I'm very curious to hear an answer. Mine started out growing VERY well, lots of new bright green leaves ... then I found that someone in my tank likes to eat large holes in the leaves (usually the middle ones). But now, I've noticed that my outside leaves are doing the tiny hole thing and turning brown around the edges.

I've read taht amazon's get their nutrients through their roots and that plant tabs in the substrate around the sword is a good idea, but I haven't tried this yet.

yup, thats exactly my problem too, thats what they look like

malkore said:
sword plants are heavy root feeders, but they also feed from the water column.

I think you have a potassium deficiency (both of you).
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm
That link is a listing of symptoms and the related deficiencies.

Jibboo...even if you have a flourite/eco complete substrate, root tabs are gonna be beneficial to swords.

so i will try to find a pottasium fertilizer, i do use a fertilizer but i know there are some potassium fertilizers

thx

depending on your tank size, Flourish Potassium will work. But on big tanks (55gal and up) you'll really want a dry Potassium Sulfate or Potassium Chloride. I can go through a 250mL bottle of it in 3 weeks on my 75gallon, where as a pound of K2SO4 will last me 6-9 months, for all of my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom