Honey gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dagon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I’m intending to restock my tank with some honey gourami. I’m intending to house 5. I have one already; unfortunately his compadres are no longer with us.

I’m seeking views on the gender mix. The tank is well established, heavily planted. Lots of retreats (if needed). 120 litres. My priority is to minimise unnecessary stress.

My inclination is one (ie
2 in total) male & 3 female. As males more colourful I’d love to have 3 male + 2 female, but I don’t think this works from a welfare perspective.

Your views appreciated.

Dagon

Love honey gouramis!

Honey’s are beautiful fish! The males can be stunning! Although they have a generally peaceful nature, the males can be somewhat territorial with each other...and the resident females. I know the males are nicer to look at, but the fewer males you have, the happier everyone will be. The females make up for their slightly more drab appearance with their excellent nature and friendly, social attitude.

Honey’s are beautiful fish! The males can be stunning! Although they have a generally peaceful nature, the males can be somewhat territorial with each other...and the resident females. I know the males are nicer to look at, but the fewer males you have, the happier everyone will be. The females make up for their slightly more drab appearance with their excellent nature and friendly, social attitude.

Yes. They also have great courting behaviour. Building and protecting their bubble nests. Makes look great in their breeding finery too.

Enjoy your new additions! Maybe you can post a picture once they are established and coloured up. Honey gouramis are not as common as many other gouramis and are often under appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom