Hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eny97

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are some ways to get hornwort to fill out? I have some long stems but the needles fell off when I first put it in the tank and they haven't grown back

What are your tank parameters, lighting, and are you dosing any ferts? Hornwort is one of the hardiest plants I know that are out there. It took a while for mine to regrow when I almost killed it off.

Sent with my fingers

It's currently in a 5g tank with guppy fry with a co2 pump and the only light it gets at the moment is natural light from the window it sits in front of

Is there a lot of algae in there? It is most likely because of the sunlight that it is not growing well. Sunlight is a lot more poweful than leds or other bulbs.

Sent with my fingers

Ok. I would suggest getting a small light for the tank. The sun is not a reliable light source for aquariums.

Sent with my fingers

What are some ways to get hornwort to fill out? I have some long stems but the needles fell off when I first put it in the tank and they haven't grown back

Hello eny...

Hornwort thrives in water with a bit higher nitrate levels. It does best floating, close to the light source. I have it in a 3 lamp, 45 gallon tall tank with Guppies, Corydoras and Platys. Attached is a pic of the tank. The Hornwort is a great water filter and the algae that grows on the leaves is a good diet supplement for the fish.

B

img_3089017_0_c0a7db394b7bc94fcb08152d7d88dc29.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My 75G tank starts looking like Bradbury's tank in only 2-3 weeks if I don't trim it! I usually thin it off and replant the healthiest into the substrate along the rear of the tank. Typically I remove about 2/3s of the Hornwort each time. Its a great way to export the nutrients from the tank!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415750118.706780.jpg is this enough light for hornwort or do the need more/less (ignore the fish all but the guppies are coming out in the next week)

Yes any light should be sufficient. Like bbradbury said, leave it floating. It will grow crazy. I had to get rid of a handful at a time every week when I grew it.

Sent with my fingers

Back
Top Bottom