Hornwort...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Question on Hornwort. Will it do ok in low light? I placed 2 in my 55G, and not sure if it will do ok in there. Just has standard lighting. I got 2 in high light in my 26G as well. I know they will do ok. The eels seem to like the hornwort. But I'm just wondering about the lighting.

Jchillin said:
Absolutely...not only will it do well, be prepared for constant pruning.

And they do leave a mess on the pool filter sand, lol. I did a small PWC with the old bucket and gravel vac because I don't want the python to get all plugged up with hornwort leaves, or needles, lol.

If leaves are coming loose, chances are someone is picking at it. I wouldn't be surprised if the barbs are the culprit, they certainly did a number on mine.

Actually, it was from me putting it in the tank, lol. I just got the shipment in, and they didn't look the best in color, kind of brownish. But looks like the green is slowly coming back. But then again, I don't know, lol. I think that's the reason they were all over, is me putting it in the tank. They have a weight wrapped on the end of their stem, and I placed weighted end down in a sewer pipe opening, so it looks like they are growing out of a sewer pipe. I got 1 on each end of the tank.

How fast will Hornwort grow under a 65W light system on a 26G? If you want to know, just ask me, lol........

It's been a week since I planted my tanks, and the hornwort was only about 6 inches tall. Now, in my 26G, they are touching the surface, lol. More than doubled their growth, lol. Ant that's no CO2, I use Flourish Excel and Flourish Trace, and Iron once a week.

The hornwort now blocks my heater and is a great nesting ground for my cherry barbs. :) They also like the java moss.....

ya i jus bought some hornwort for my 20 gal and it only has 18 watts so i hope it will do well and its a nice lookin plant and im in the same boat as you, needles al over the pool filter sand lol

Hey, Jchillin, should see the hornwort in my 26G with 65W CF now. Was about 6 inches when I got it a couple weeks ago, and has filled in the whole left side of my tank now, lol. The only thing I add is a little Excel every day or every other day. And I still have no algae problems, and the java moss looks absolutely great, nice and clean.

nitrous - The hornwort in my 55G low light is now finally starting to take off, 2 weeks after adding it. With 2 18W fixtures on the 55G, it's finally gotten deep green, and is starting to grow. So, under your low light, if it doesn't look like it's doing good, give it time. Like I said, mine took 2 weeks before it started coming around. :)

I bought some hornwort almost 2 weeks ago for my 20g with a single 17 watt T8 and for the first week it started to sink and looked like it was dying. After that first week it floated up again and now it's already started to take over my tank so Lonewolf is right, give it time and I'm sure it'll do well. I can't imagine what'll happen when I upgrade to CF.

I have had hornwart in my 29 gal. for about 2 months with only 18 watt lite and let me tell you I have to cut out a baseball size chunk of this stuuff every week. Don't turn your back on it or it will take over. LOL. I also have corkskrew val.,aponageten,anubis,and watersprite all are growing so fast it is scarrey. I also have to trim the watersprite every week.

I put mine in the sand as well.. but it seems like everything thats below the substrate and right above is pretty much dying, which I can see is gonna end up making a big mess to clean up constantly. The rest of it seems to be doing well, it seems to get darker green the further down in the tank it is. I'd be interested in hearing as well how everyone else has theirs planted...

Ryehard said:
I bought some hornwort almost 2 weeks ago for my 20g with a single 17 watt T8 and for the first week it started to sink and looked like it was dying. After that first week it floated up again and now it's already started to take over my tank so Lonewolf is right, give it time and I'm sure it'll do well. I can't imagine what'll happen when I upgrade to CF.

When you upgrade to CF, you will be amazed, lol. 2 weeks and it took over half of my aquarium, lol.

nitrous said:
do you all have it floating? i put mine in the sand is that a bad thing?

Not bad at all, that's how I have mine. Stuck in the gravel, and it takes up half of my aquarium, lol.

Lonewolfblue said:
Hey, Jchillin, should see the hornwort in my 26G with 65W CF now. Was about 6 inches when I got it a couple weeks ago, and has filled in the whole left side of my tank now, lol. The only thing I add is a little Excel every day or every other day. And I still have no algae problems, and the java moss looks absolutely great, nice and clean.

I'm not surprised, if I can get similar growth in low-light, high light just makes it all the more happier. I just pruned my largest one again after pruning it two weeks ago as well. What I do like is they do get the nicest little runners, which helps keep it rooted. I also have one floating as well...need to find it a home.

Oh, it'll do more than just shoot straight up, lol. And covering the heater, I can't see mine, lol. Going to do some pruning tonight, as over half of the top of the water is covered, making it too dark for the plants below.

I'm running a 65W CF on a 26G, lol.

On my 55G, I have a hornwort in each corner. That tank is running an 18W bulb on each side. 36W total. Took about 2 weeks for them to perk up, but when they did, they shot straight up. The one on the right side of the tank is now surfaced, with quite a bit on the surface.

I'll get pics when my new camera gets here. It's due to arrive on the 15th. Yippeeeee..... :)

One question on Hornwort. I read in a couple places that when you have Hornwort in your tank, you will usually have less of an algae problem because the hornwort gives off a kind of an anti-algae chemical. Is this true or not?

I dunno but I definately still have algae :). If that's true then hopefully my algae will start to diminish soon as my hornwort flourishes.

Back
Top Bottom