Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to wishbone Send a message via Yahoo to wishbone
hornwort growth?

My hornwort has grown over an inch in less than a week? Does this stuff normally grow this fast?!?

wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

before:

One week later:

That just seems odd to me?

Old 04-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to aquazen
You betcha. I have to toss mine every other week. Your's look rather nice and bushy. You must have some nice lighting.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

hah this was suppose to be a low maintenance plant! That's crazy! =) I have 2x65w CF coralife and my tank is REALLY tall. So I'd call the lighting adequate but nothing special.

That's neat though, I guess I think of something more creative to do with it. Time to rearrange the tank again maybe.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
It can grow faster....the stuff I keep in a rubbermaid tub in my yard each summer pretty much doubles in about 15 days.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hornwort's been on my hit list as a possible "next" plant to purchase if I order online. I've read a few times here about the needles shedding on hornworts... what's your experience so far? Also, there are 2 plants referred to as hornworts:

Ceratophyllum submersum
Ceratophyllum demersum

According to plantgeek.net, they say the demersum variety is "harder rougher stem leaves"... so does this mean it'd shed less?

Whishbone, I love those tall pieces of driftwood... I think I need a tall piece similiar to those to finish off my driftwood "lookl" .
Old 04-07-2005, 01:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't had problems with needles yet, but pieces do seem to break off every so often. It's been easy to clean up, but it isn't the cleanest plant I've ever seen.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:55 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If you dont mind snails, or are willing to inspect and clean, you may be able to find hornwort at a local plant nursery. Mine doesn't really shed either; fwiw I leave them floating and break off old pieces often.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The hornwort I had grew really fast at the tips but the lower sections didn't and shed their leaves really bad. My anacharis on the other hand, especially the thicker species has grown more than 6 inches in less than 10 days. I like the anacharis because of less mess but the hornwort provided better cover for the sword babies. I think I will have to try it again now that I am up to 1.5 watts per gallon.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_4_all
The hornwort I had grew really fast at the tips but the lower sections didn't and shed their leaves really bad. My anacharis on the other hand, especially the thicker species has grown more than 6 inches in less than 10 days. I like the anacharis because of less mess but the hornwort provided better cover for the sword babies. I think I will have to try it again now that I am up to 1.5 watts per gallon.
I'm thinking of switching to anacharis. What variety is the "thicker" variety?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is Egeria najas, Egeria densa, or so I have been told. The densa is supposed to be the thicker one. All I can do is post a picture I have and show you what to look for.

If I could get my hornwort to grow like that and not lose all the lower leaves I would get some of that again. I just need to switch my substrate as I am still using epoxy gravel. I know my fish probably hate it, especially my C. trilineatus but I have to set up a new tank and cycle it before switching. It looks like you are using a course sand or fine gravel so I will try that as I wanted to anyway.

The greener one is the one that grows so fast, try to find it the other anacharis doesn't grow anywhere near as fast, not in my tank anyway.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

cool thanks for the pic fish_4_all. I think I'll check my LFS next week for some anacharis and maybe just leave some hornwort on the surface for my gouramis since they seem to really like that.

I have "natural" river gravel that I bought from my LFS. It's what I would call a fine gravel and supposedly was taken from a natural source. (not sure if that's good or bad) It does look very natural and seems to make for adequate planting.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

About my anacharis, some of the older plants that looked kind of sickly are now growing very well. Some of them have the denser type growing while others that are rejuvinated have the thinner leaves. I think it was a combination of the flourescent light of 15 watts and the fact I put peanut butter lids over my stacks from my undergravel filter to limits water agitiation. Since I did that all of my plants have gone wild. My mini java fern has new plants growing on almost every leaf, my java moss is getting longer and longer, and my anacharis is growing like a weed. My fish seem happier too and the amount of waste I suck up when I vaccum the gravel is minimul compared to when the plants weren't doing so well.

Check out ebay and do a search for anacharis or hornwort or elodea, there is a ton of it on there.

The seller aquatic6414 has some really good deals, I think so anyway. I think that they have both anacharis and hornwort so might be time to make a dense backdrop that would hide everything in the back of the tank.

Best of luck with them wherever you get them.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake2player
Also, there are 2 plants referred to as hornworts:

Ceratophyllum submersum
Ceratophyllum demersum

I got some hornwort from my local fish shop and they think it was the demersum because it lost almost all of it's leaves in a matter of 2 days. According to my lfs it is a cold water species. The submersum is supposed to be a tropical species and do better in warm water.

Wishbone, try to find out what species it is. I would really like to have some that grows that well so I can break up and fill out the back wall of my anacharis. If you get me the species I won't have to play net the leaves again.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake2player
Also, there are 2 plants referred to as hornworts:

Ceratophyllum submersum
Ceratophyllum demersum

I got some hornwort from my local fish shop and they think it was the demersum because it lost almost all of it's leaves in a matter of 2 days. According to my lfs it is a cold water species. The submersum is supposed to be a tropical species and do better in warm water.

Wishbone, try to find out what species it is. I would really like to have some that grows that well so I can break up and fill out the back wall of my anacharis. If you get me the species I won't have to play net the leaves again.
I purchased Ceratophyllum submersum from www.azgardens.com. It did end up being rather messy and I decided to pull all of it and try anacharis instead. It wasn't too bad when you didn't touch it, but when doing PWCs and trimming it it got a bit much for my taste.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just picked some up 4 days ago and it's grown about 6 inches since I got it. It must be a weed of some kind, cause at the rate it's growing it'll be out of the tank by tomorrow!

I've done a PWC with it already and have had very few leaves break off. Of course, I don't dump the bucket right on top of the plant...

I must say, I'm very impressed with how it's doing so far....
2 Amazon Swords, 1 java Fern, 1 Japanese Dwarf Rush, 1 Hornwort, 1 Wisteria
LiveStock:
9 Neon Tetras, 6 Royal Black Emperor Tetras, 3 Head and tail light Tetras, 3 GlowLight Tetras, 4 Ottos, 4 Black Mollies, 2 White Balloon Mollies, 6 Scissor Tail Danios, 6 Mickey Mouse Platties, 6 White Platties, 12 Olive Nerite Snails, 11 Golden Clams, 3 Swordtails, 2 Panda Cories, 2 Elegan Cories, 1 Veil Angel, 3 Ameno Shrimp, 1 Baby Plattie
SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
I have this and it grows very fast in my tank as well. If it does not receive enought light it will shed. I had the lights on a smaller tank off for a few days and started gettting som shedding....

Mooooose

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
growth, hornwort

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com