Hornwort | seeds or flowers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey All,

I was looking at my hornwort and saw a few seed pod things appearing on it. I've grown this stuff forever and never seen it do this. Are these flowers? Are these seed / spore things?

Can I leave them? Are they harmless to the fish occupants? Is it an indicator of anything in particular?

Moose

Sounds like it's gone to seed :) I can't imagine that the seeds (if that's what they are) would be harmful to your fish. I would watch them, chances are they will eventually fall off (if your fish don't eat them) and you may see new plants spring up. It should be interesting in any case :)

If you have gotten flowers, you have done well, as it seldom flowers, even in nature. Don't worry about seeds or such, there is no risk of harm.

Where shall I bring it for HAP points Toirtus.. Can I bring it to the next CAS meeting?

Aquatic Horticultural Awards Program. I used my flowering hornwort for AHAP points. I just looked tday while cleaning one of my tanks and some of the hornwort is flowering. You will have a hard time finding pictures in any plant book showing the flowers. I happened to get an issue of FAMA that had pictures of the flowers, just when mine was flowering.

BillD said:
Aquatic Horticultural Awards Program. I used my flowering hornwort for AHAP points.

Eventually, you get enough points to become 'Master Aquatic Horticulturalist' and suchlike, and you get spiffy wall plaques, ribbons and stuff!

We have one Master in our club that has grown and propogated just about every plant going. I have managed to reach the Expert level, but you would never know to look at my tanks. And don't forget the CAOAC certificates. FAMA already has pictures; that was how I identified what I had. Perhaps you are right though, few people have seen them.

Back
Top Bottom