How any plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookawolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I'm guessing the answer to this is "it depends" but how many plants should I buy initially for my new 40 gallon aquarium? The closest quality non-big-box store is 60 miles away and I get up there 1x per quarter if that so I don't want to under or over buy. I have 60/40 ecocomplete and gravel with 79w of T5HO light. Also is there any carpeting fore ground plants suitable for beginners I should look out for?

My advice? Research first. Make out a tentative plant list/scape plan and go from there. I tend to go heavy on the plants, but drawing out a visual might help you decide just how many to purchase the first time around.

I agree, because it really depends on the plants. Some will grow fast, others won't. The ones that grow fast you'll be able to trim and replant (depending on the plant)

Sounds good! I think I may end up doing a few scenerios so I can adapt to what the LFS has. If I went with the local petsmart I might be able to get an amazon sword and some water sprite. I'm excited to get started!

pookawolf said:
Sounds good! I think I may end up doing a few scenerios so I can adapt to what the LFS has. If I went with the local petsmart I might be able to get an amazon sword and some water sprite. I'm excited to get started!

I'm a member of The Planted Tank forum. People are often selling generous plant packages and some are willing to customize. Folks also give plants away for price of shipping. Much cheaper than stores and better info IMHO. Not to say you can't buy a couple of plants to look at while you are deciding on the rest :)

Aquatic Plant Central has a good plant database also :)

This site may have some plants for sale as well :)

As a member of my local aquatic plant society I get free plants at every meeting.

Back
Top Bottom