how "black" is Fluorite black?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the past I've had a couple tanks with black substrates. One was a tank with Eco-Complete (which I wouldn't call "black"...more like a dark charcoal grey with even occasional hints of brown), and another with Tahaitian Moon Sand (which was jet black with little reflective bits in it).

Can anyone out there compare the actual in-tank color of Flourite Black and/or Flourite Black Sand to either or both of the substrates I mentioned earlier? (Even more, could anyone chime in about Onyx Gravel and Onyx Sand too?)

Gonna be setting up a new tank towards the end of the summer and I'm trying to figure out what to use as the substrate. Thanks!

Will await the picture, blazyreef! :D

Thanks for the info on Onyx, purrbox. From looking at pictures of it in the bag it looked like a light grey color, so my gut told me it would proabably be dark grey once it got wet.

I'm really hoping I like the look of the Fluorite black sand. I had a tank set up (RCS breeding/show tank) with the Tahitian moon sand and just loved the look of it, but being inert there is more need for fertilizing and (as a general rule) dumping lots of ferts into a tank with dwarf shrimp is not a good idea. So if I can achieve essentially the same black sand look with a substrate that is also nutrient rich, seems like a "best of both worlds" scenario.

pictures on their way

one pic of it in my betta tank
img_875893_0_b3291421a2c7f8b315f04afc53c12d5e.jpg

and one close up
img_875893_1_0993baccaa2ad7e7820dcd7ace7be2d5.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the pics. One thing about black substrates, it really makes the green color of plants show up well. Can't wait to see more pics of the tank, next time with fish in it! :D

Back
Top Bottom