How did I do on my new Pressurized CO2 system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGGorman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I fretted over the choices for a couple weeks. Finally took the plunge yesterday.

First off, this is for a 70 gallon corner tank, about 24" deep. Substrate heat. Sand over the heat cable, then about 3" of Flourite. 2.75 wpg, 50% 10,000k, 50% 6,700k (SunPaq pc bulbs). Rena Xp3 filter.

I ordered the 5lb aluminum cylinder from a beer/tap/keg supply place called micro-matic. Paid about $70 shipped.

I also ordered the #4 Combo "meal" from www.aquatic-store.com (http://www.aquatic-store.com/en-us/p_3030.html). I went ahead and got the CO2-friendly hose, bubble-counter fluid (silicone fluid, I assume, but didn't want to take a chance), and the calibration fluids. Came to about $250 shipped. It includes the Milwaukee regulator/gauge-set, solenoid, counter, and needle valve; the Milwaukee SMS 122 controller,; and the AquaMedic Reactor 1000.

I think the reactor is too much for a little 70, but it seemed the best engineered of the ones I found. I plan to adapt the fittings to fit 5/8" tubing from the return line of the Xp3. Hopefully it runs quiet. I was concerned about the in-tank passive diffusers getting crapped up with algae and stuff. I was also concerned about the in-tank clutter. I know this set-up will require me to run the probe into the tank, but that's a lot easier to hide than a big ladder or something.

Any comments?
I try to buy equipment that will be low-maintenance and long-life. I've found the extra money is usually well-spent...

I know it's too late now, but how did I do pricewise and quality-wise? Anybody else running a similar setup (especially that reactor)?

I won't have it all up and running for a week, probably, but I'm excited anyway!

Looks like you have everything I wish I could afford. :? The only thing I don't know about is the reactor. I use the Power and the Power Vortex Reactor in my 2 tanks, and I really like them a lot. I'm sure yours will be great though.

The aquamedic 1000 is a great reactor, 0 waste (aside from escape after it's in the column) and it's rated for up to 250Gallons (realistically, 180Gal, tho more flow may increase this)

Good job, I'm probably ordering a Co2 Reg, and PH Controller tonight before I go to bed, I have a reactor on the way if dr. fosters will ship them already.. (ordered by a friend around the end of Dec.) Found a local place that I can pick up 5 or 10lb tanks, 5lb is 75$ full and 10$ per fill after that, 10lb is 90$ full and 15$/fill after that, so I'll go with the 10lb tank.

Let us all know how it works out for you.

I have a question, if you don't mind. I noticed you mention Calibration fluid? I assume a tester of this comes with it. but why can't you use common household items, like bleach @ PH 12.6 then Vinegar @ PH 2.8? instead of their bottles of stuff? or alternatively use pure distilled water for 7.01 (.01 isn't a huge calibration issue for me since it's only accurate to .1)

I'm afraid I can't give a satisfactory answer to that, Wiz. I have a tendency to go overboard on stuff I don't completely understand. I don't completely understand the pH monitor/controller yet. I guess I'd rather be preparred for all eventualities and $20 is small portion of the setup cost for this system. Once I get the thing installed and read through the owner's manual a couple times, I may kick myself for paying $20 for their calibration fluids. It's happened before!

Back
Top Bottom