How do I do the math with my situation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a typically shaped (rectangular) 55 gal FW. 30% black aquarium sand, 70% EC. Lightly planted at the moment because everything went in yesterday and the plants are small (see pic)

Plants were labeled low to medium light. No Co2 system. The light fixtures are the ones that came with the tank, but the bulbs are rated 5000k and set to be on for two 5-hour sessions with a four hour rest period in between. There are Osmocote Plus granules in the substrate.

Is all this correct? Should I change the lighting or the length of light sessions? I plan on dosing with Flourish, Excel, and liquid Co2 as needed, but am hoping to get the balance right to minimize these additions.

Thanks for your input.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Your Tank

Hello Mom...

That substrate is pretty high end for basic plants. The easy to keep, low to moderate light plants don't need special substrate, but since you already have it, fine. The lights that come with tanks are made to see into the tank, but not for growing plants. But, give them a try. Aquarium plants are tropical and used to longer hours of daylight. Have the lights on for 12 hours per day.

The easy to grow plants don't require added fertilizers. So, save your money. The fertilizers the fish produce are enough, just feed the fish a balanced diet and keep the tank water changed out at least weekly and the fish and plants will be fine.

B

Thanks, B!

I wasn't very clear in my post, I replaced the fluorescent bulbs in the fixtures that came with my aquarium with a "tropical level" bulb rated at 5000k. I don't know if that makes a difference with your recommendations.

Thanks, B!

I wasn't very clear in my post, I replaced the fluorescent bulbs in the fixtures that came with my aquarium with a "tropical level" bulb rated at 5000k. I don't know if that makes a difference with your recommendations.

What plants do you have, Like names? The lights that come with the tank are no good for plants and will most likely kill anything not named Java fern or Anubias. Do yourself a favor and start out right by buying a Finnex planted Plus http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRay-Planted-Aquarium-Moonlights/dp/B00GH9HURE or This dual t-5 ho fixture http://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Aquar...&qid=1424124844&sr=1-2&keywords=odyssea+t5+ho . Both will give you about medium lighten your tank and will allow you to keep a lot more plants. I tried to use the stock lights when I started 3 years ago but all it did was kill my plants and make me frustrated. Do yourself this favor and you will enjoy it much more. (y) When I upgraded I got the t-5 and liked it for the cost and have since upgraded to a BML.

Hello Mom...

That substrate is pretty high end for basic plants. The easy to keep, low to moderate light plants don't need special substrate, but since you already have it, fine. The lights that come with tanks are made to see into the tank, but not for growing plants. But, give them a try. Aquarium plants are tropical and used to longer hours of daylight. Have the lights on for 12 hours per day.

The easy to grow plants don't require added fertilizers. So, save your money. The fertilizers the fish produce are enough, just feed the fish a balanced diet and keep the tank water changed out at least weekly and the fish and plants will be fine.

B

Thanks, B!

While I agree with the tropical lighting time. Pay close attention to the glass/sub/decor. I have a Finnex Light for my planted tank and only have it on 4 hours a day. Even still I get some algae on my glass. Keep a close eye out for algae and adjust your light as needed to make sure you don't cause an algae bloom. Otherwise looking good ?

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g Rescaped! 5 White skirt tetras, 5 green Corys, 3 pandas, 1 peacock Gudgeon.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Back
Top Bottom